MOON OVER MALAYA

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by aghart, Jul 24, 2013.

1. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

A tale of Argylls and Marines. The story of the 2nd Battalion, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders during the campaign in Malaya 1941/42. First hand accounts from the best trained and most formidable British infantry formation in Malaya. You will be shocked and surprised to discover just how many casualties this unit inflicted on the Japanese 5th Division. How it had perfected jungle tactics and how it incorporated the devastating machine gun fire of armoured cars to savage Japanese outflanking moves. It remained intact with very light casualties until overwhelmed and almost destroyed by Japanese armour at the Slim Bridge battle. Returned to Singapore, it absorbed the Royal Marines from HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse and became known as the "Plymouth Argylls". It then fought in the final battle for Singapore Island. It tells the stories of survivors finding their way back to friendly lines, it details how many escaped after the surrender of Singapore. It covers the horrors of the POW's in Japanese hands.

If only every British and Indian battalion had been as well prepared and aggressive as this unit, the Japanese would never have reached Singapore! A first class book.

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Nice book-report except for the omissions. You fail to clearly identify the title of the book (I have to presume it is entitled "Moon over Malaya. ") Who wrote it? When was it published, and by whom? How many pages?

3. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

Title is "Moon over Malaya" by Jonathan Moffatt & Audrey Holmes McCormick. Published in 2002 by Tempus Publishing. 256 pages.

4. donno5

donno5 commando kid

it is an excellent book My cousin in Singapore got me it He's a friend of the author