Major Montague Nathan Abrahams - Rifle Brigade

Discussion in 'Military Biographies' started by liverpool annie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In Memory of
    Major MONTAGUE ABRAHAMS

16th Bn., Rifle Brigade
    who died
    on 03 September 1916

Remembered with honour
    THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

[Spelt Montagu in dedication booklet] *Major, 16th Battalion, Rifle brigade (The Prince Consort's Own). Killed in action 3rd September 1916. No known grave. Commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France. Pier and Face 16 B and 16 C. Member of the Exchange.

Extract from the Stock Exchange Memorial Book -

MAJOR MONTAGUE NATHAN ABRAHAMS, Rifle Brigade, was the son of Louis Abrahams of Northgate House, Regent's Park. Born in 1875, he was educated at University College School. He entered his father's business and in 1909 became a member of the Stock Exchange. He married in 1902 Annette, daughter of the late Sir Joseph Duveen.

On the outbreak of war he enlisted in the Old Boys' Corps and became a platoon-commander. In April 1915 he was granted a commission as Captain, and with Lieut.-Colonel H. F. Darrell was mainly responsible for raising the 16th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. After training at Winchester and Aldershot, he was promoted Major before the battalion went to France in March 1916, in time to take part in much of the heaviest fighting of the Somme battle.

He was killed while leading his men in the assault on Beaumont Hamel on 3 September 1916, being then forty-one years of age. His Commanding Officer (Lieut.-Colonel Darrell, D.S.O.) wrote: " Every day Monty became dearer to me as a friend and more valuable as an officer. . . . When I say that he was unequalled as a Company Commander in the New Armies, I am not using terms of exaggerated praise but stating an absolute fact that was recognized by all who came into contact with him, from generals downwards. His men absolutely adored him, as well they might, and not only the officers of this regiment loved him but all the officers of the Brigade who had the honour of knowing him."

Attached Files: