Major-General Dame Helen Charlotte Isabella Gwynne-Vaughan

Discussion in 'Military Biographies' started by liverpool annie, Jun 11, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

We have no military women here ... so I thought I'd include Dame Helen !

I'd appreciate any further information on her ... if you have any !!

Major-General Dame Helen Charlotte Isabella Gwynne-Vaughan was born January 21, 1879, a daughter of Captain Hon. A. H. D. Fraser. She was educated at Cheltenham Ladies' College, and King's College, London. In 1903-5 she was temporary assistant in the department of Botany, British Museum. Her other appointments included lecturer in Botany, University College, Nottingham, 1907-9, and head of department of botany, Birkbeck College, London, 1909-17. In the Great War, on the formation of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in February, 1917, she became its Chief Controller in France, occupying that post until September, 1918, by which time the official title had become Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. From that date until December, 1919, she was Chief Controller of the Women's Royal Air Force. In January, 1920, she resumed her post at London University. She contested North Camberwell in the Unionist interest in 1922-23-24. She was created C.B.E. in 1918, D.B.E. 1919, and G.B.E. 1929. Id 1911 she married Professor D. T. Gwynne-Vaughan.

Attached Files: