Magazines

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by The Patriot, Dec 3, 2006.

1. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

Whereas the War for Southern Independence has North and South, Blue & Gray, CW Historian, and others, what magazines are available for the Revolution and even the colonial period? I've never come across any besides some that encompass all of American History, etc. I would like something more specific.

The Patriot

2. The General

The General New Member

I don't know that I have, either.

Eric

3. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

There are two magazines which I find to be interesting...

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation offers "Colonial Williamsburg" to donors of the Foundation. It's published
    five times a year and always has Colonial and Revolutionary War content.

Also, The Daughters of the American Revolution offers the "American Spirit" magazine to members, as well as to the general public. It has lots of great content, too.

I don't know of any regular magazines dedicated only to the Revolution. "American History" is about it...but that contains articles about all periods of history. I subscribe and do enjoy it very much.

Regards,

Pam

4. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Colonial Williamsburg is a very good general interest magazine for the period . I have not seen the DAR periodical . There is no general interest magazine that I am aware of and no specialty magazine similar to "Gettysburg" that I have run into . I ask that question of Tonya Gossett at the American Battlefield Protection Program and she was not aware of a periodical covering the Early American Wars .
    Tony

5. bschulte

bschulte New Member

I think that would be an excellent subject for a magazine. You could have anything from the struggle for Quebec between Wolfe and Montcalm all the way to Chapultepec and the Mexican War. I wonder what kind of circulation a magazine like that would garner if published by someone like Weider Publishing.

6. The General

The General New Member

I would love to see a magazine devoted to the colonial and revolutionary period, especially if it gave good coverage to things like the French and Indian War. The question, of course, is whether anyone could make money at it.

Eric

7. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Eric,
    So true making money would be difficult just look at the Civil War book sections vs Early American Wars ; World War II vs World War I book sections at Borders and Barnes and Noble . It is not for lack of material or publications . When in Ypres I did not know so many books had been published on WW I . To have a Journal or periodical work it would need to be tied to a foundation or group similar to the Williamsburg Foundation or CWPT with Hallowed Ground in that way the target audience could be found . It would need a blend of scholarly works and articles of general interest . I know of no particular battle or campaign with the following of Gettysburg or the Battle of the Bulge to have have a magazine that specific . Intriguing thought though . You are building a list to start with .
    Tony

8. The General

The General New Member

Tony,

I would love to find a way to make it happen, a la Gettysburg Magazine. We'll see what happens....

Eric

9. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Eric,

If you do find a way to make it happen, I'd be very interested in contributing to your effort in some way.
    It's nice to dream...and nicer still to see the dream through to fruition!

Regards,

Pam

10. tonyt

tonyt New Member

It appears we may have interest in exploring a magazine a la Gettysburg , perhaps starting more like Hallowed Ground . There may be an enthusiastic market , look at groups such as DAR , Society of Cincinnatus , and others . Start ups are always difficult but passion and money helps . Due to a project that did not come to fruition early this year and a preservation project I may be passing to others I may have an interest in exploring a magazine project on Early American Wars along with the assistance of others . It would be interesting to put together a plan and see it may lead .
    Tony

11. The General

The General New Member

Tony,

Indeed it would, and if you're going to be around during the holidays, perhaps we can get together and see where it leads. Let me know.

Eric

12. tonyt

tonyt New Member

I'll be around the weeks of 18th and 25th I'll contact you by private email
    Tony

13. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

Something like Hallowed Ground is good....I've never read Gettysburg Magazine, probably because I am burned out on the battle. For this layman, I would like to see it something like North and South. Good quality articles and then adding a section like the General's Tour from Blue and Gray for various battles and places of the Colonial Times.

Hey...I like that. The Colonial Times.

I think it would be good to have something that covers 1507 to 1815. There has to be plenty of material for a quality magazine. After all, if the Civil War can have 5 major magazines and World War II has 3, why wouldn't a magazine covering 308 years be a success? (Of course, I am not considering the market or public interest, but a hope and desire.) Sure, you'd have to start smaller, but when you get rolling, expansion is always an option.

Note to "The General:" My pet peeves are bad grammar and spelling mistakes in formal writing. I'll volunteer to proofread. I'll leave fact checking to the experts.

14. The General

The General New Member

Patriot,

I like Colonial Times. I like it a lot, in fact.

We will keep you posted.

Eric

15. bschulte

bschulte New Member

Count me in as liking The Colonial Times. That wouldn't really be any different than Civil War Times, and that's a good thing, IMHO. I would suggest extending the time frame all the way up to 1860. This would allow for the inclusion of the Texan War of Independence and the Mexican-American War, two conflicts I'm sure would garner some additional interest.

Eric,

If you guys come up with something, count me in as a charter subscriber. ;D

Brett

16. The General

The General New Member

Brett,

I think that going much beyond the War of 1812 is really pushing it for a publication called The Colonial Times, although I understand your logic.

We will keep everyone posted. It really is an intriguing possibility.

Eric

17. bschulte

bschulte New Member

Eric,

Good point re: the use of "Colonial Times". I guess it would have to be called something else if you did decide to expand it through at least 1846. I would be interested in purchasing something like that either way. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been tried in a popular format before. I too would rather see something along the lines of North & South or Blue & Gray rather than ACW or CWTI.

18. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

My recommendation for The Colonial Times to offer articles through 1815 was intentional. Partly because of the international experience of this new nation, partly because even B&G offered a special issue on the Battle of Little Big Horn, but mostly because the vast majority would cover 270+ years of colonial history, even if the editors chose to cover articles from 1783 to 1815. The name itself was the fortuitous result of a posting. I too think that 1783 - 1815 would not be out of bounds for a magazine named The Colonial Times. Beyond that, and you might want to consider something else.

BSchulte, as I wrote before, I agree: More like B&G or N&S. But remember, it would even take time to get there. I don't think the name would be an obstacle.

Perhaps then, The American Experiment? Nah....I like my first suggestion better.

Either way, there's a vacuum that must be filled.

Benjamin Martin

19. tonyt

tonyt New Member

I would envision the period going even earlier to cover the French & Indian War aka Seven Years War , King Philips War and other conflicts and political issues of the day . There is an international market the UK , Canada , French and Spain . Interesting concept .
    Tony

20. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

General,

Any update to this?