Lt Ellen SAVAGE

Discussion in 'Biographies' started by Kyt, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Savage, Eleanor - Australian Women Biographical entry

Servicewoman
    Born: 17 October 1912 Quirindi, New South Wales, Australia

For lifesaving after the ship Centaur was attacked by a Japanese submarine, Lieutenant Ellen Savage was awarded the George Medal on 22 August 1944.
    Career Highlights
    Ellen Savage joined the Australian Army on 18 November 1941. She was one of 12 nurses posted to the hospital ship Centaur. At dawn on 14 May 1943, while sailing between Sydney and Port Moresby, the ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine off the Queensland coast. Only having time to grab a lifejacket, Lieutenant (Lt) Savage jumped into the sea before the ship went down. Managing not to be sucked into the whirlpool, she found a piece of debris to help her stay afloat. She and other survivors drifted until they were able to tie-up with other rafts. During the thirty-four hours that they floated, before being picked up by the US destroyer Mugford, Lt Savage attended to the wounded without disclosing the extent of her own injuries.

For her courage Lt Ellen Savage became the second Australian woman to be awarded the George Medal.

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Centaur Memorial Service - 23/06/2004 - PRIV - NSW Parliament

HMA Centaur

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

CENTAUR official number 147275 built in 1924 for the Blue Funnel Line (Alfred Holt & Co Ltd)

"Beyond the Call of Duty" by Brian James Crabb devotes a chapter to the loss of the CENTAUR including the courage of Ellen Savage the only woman survivor.

In 1944, Ellen Savage was awarded the George Medal and after the war she gained a Florence Nightingale scholarship and attended the Royal College of Nursing in London to study nursing administration. She eventually became Matron of the Rankin Park Chest Hospital until her retirement in 1967. She died on 14 May 1985 (Anzac Day and the 42nd anniversary of the sinking) while waiting for a taxi in Sydney. She had attended a remembrance ceremony at Sydney's cenotaph and made a speech at the annual hospital ship reunion lunch at Sydney Hospital. She was 72 years old.

Regards
    Hugh

4. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this ... naming the Japanese submarine I-177 - thought I'd post just in case anybody is looking for more information !

Sinking of the hospital ship "Centaur" by Japanese submarine I-177 on 14 May 1943 off the Queensland coast east of Brisbane