Lost WW2 memorial now found

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by spoons, Oct 4, 2010.

1. spoons

spoons New Member

UKNIWM Ref 38694 is currently reported as "2001: CURRENT LOCATION OF THE WAR MEMORIAL IS UNKNOWN. WHEN THE BRANCH IT WAS IN WAS CLOSED IN 1998 IT WAS MOVED TO A LOCAL BRANCH. ATTEMPTS TO FIND OUT WHICH ONE HAVE PROVED FRUITLESS".

Pleased to report that I have found the memorial in the Ruthwell Savings Bank museum Dumfries and Galloway and reported the find to UKNIWM.

Here's a photo

\Spoons

Attached Files:

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Brill, wish our town council would lose the one here.

Sniper [Mike]

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

My town council still had the big white plaques given out in WW2 for raising funds for the wings for victory/salute the soldier/warship weeks. All of them still in the wooden crate sin which they were delivered. do you know what they did whent he town hall was renovated in 2000? The threw them in the skip, and no-one knew until the skip was long gone. Also going in there was the ensign from HMS Woolston, along with a scale model of her, and a lot of other items given by her crew to the town when she was decommissioned. Let us say there are still a lot of angry people when this came out.

4. spoons

spoons New Member

That is absolutely outrageous, especially about the white ensign. Ensigns, like Regimental Colours are normally laid up in a suitable church in memory of those who served and they then constitute a war memorial. Check out UKNIWM and search on ensign as a keyword. I think perhaps you should report the ensign to UKNIWM with as much information as you know and it will then be recorded as a lost memorial. Better that than forgotten entirely.

\Spoons

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

I don't believe they could have done that! That is a disgrace.

"Did someone pay"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Geoff