Looking for some help.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LFinn, Oct 1, 2008.

1. LFinn

LFinn Guest

:peep:Hi there everyone.

My mother who was Irish joined the WAAF's towards the end of the last war and is now in her 80's is trying to find out as much information - i suppose go down memory lane as such about different things.

Firstly she used to frequent a place called the Stage Door Canteen in London. Would anyone out there know of this place and maybe have some memorabilia available to purchase of course, or even just information I can pass on to her.

Secondly, she spent her time in Hendon. We visisted a couple of years ago, but unfortunately it has all changed since she was there over sixty odd years ago! Would anyone have old photos etc.

i would really appreciate any help in finding out anything about either of these places.

Many thanks

Lorna

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Lorna

welcome to Chat

seems the Canteen was a popular place for service personnel, and some famous names, including Glen Miller played there. I think it was in wardour Street but need to check.

Found one piece of memorabilia:

C20th - Item JA27

I will have a look around and get back to you

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Nice picture of Bing Crosby singing at the canteen

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/st/~ksoroka/crosbybig.JPG

and

PeoplePlay UK - Programme for the Stage Door Canteen, London

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

As for RAF Hendon, it would probably be better to search for Hendon Aerodome as a search term.

The following book (which seems to be relatively cheap and Airlife publications tend to have good photo content) may help:

Amazon.co.uk: Hendon Aerodrome: David Oliver: Books

5. CTNana

CTNana Active Member