Looking for info on Albert Radford

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by Stanners, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Stanners

Stanners New Member

I am assisting a friend in tracing his Grandfather, Albert Radford.
    He has given me the following information (Taken from his e-mail):

"I have continued my search for Albert Radford. A war memorial plague in the demolished church of Blackborough, Devon, listed him as having died (presumably of wounds). The military Cemetery is Wescott, he was in the Coldstream Guards and distiguised himself at Landrecies. I have not so far traced his record and so cannot yet place him within the family tree."

I cannot find an Albert Radford that fits the above details and can find no reference to a military cemetery called Westcott.

Can anybody throw any light on this mystery?
    Thanks

2. forester

forester New Member

Stanners,

The only Albert Radford that I can find from that area is Pte 59061, 5th Battalion Essex Regiment, formerly 4122 Devon Reg, who died (sickness or accident?) in Egypt 6/9/18. He enlisted in Kentisbeare and was a resident of Uffculme. He is buried in Kantara War Memorial Cemetery.

I can find a village called Westcott a few miles SW of Kentisbeare, so the alternative is that you are looking for some-one who died in the UK.

Phil

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Welcome to the forum Stanners. I have checked all cemeteries called Westcott that have CWGC graves, of which there are 4 in total but cannot find any any Albert Radford in any of them that died between 1914-1921. I'm wondering if he died later than 1921 when the CWGC has the cut off date for WW1 casualties which means he would become an MOD casualty if he was still serving. After the 1921 deadline if a ex-soldier died of his wounds then it would be down to his family to provide a headstone and he would not of been recorded on the CWGC database.
    There are 4 cemeteries holding military burials here in the U/K called Westcott, 3 in Surrey and 1 in Buckinghamshire.
    Hope this helps, if you need any further info on the CWGC, miltary burials, or memorials please do ask and i will see what i can find out for you

Sniper