London war memories from WW II.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Tomgus, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Thanks Keith for that story.
    Another question to anyone is that of the museums in London according The Blitz.
    Imperial War, of course, and Museum in Docklands has Blitz-exhibitions but are there any other museums except from Cabinet War Rooms? And what do you think about "Britain at War" near London Bridge? Myself I found it very interesting!

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

"Britain at War" near London Bridge is excellent, and literally across the road and through the small shopping centre (only 150 metres or so) is HMS Belfast. Not Blitz related I know but still worth having a look when one is so close.

Don't forget:

National Army Museum
    National Maritime Museum
    Royal Air Force Museum London
    Museum of London: Exhibitions: Current Exhibitions: Remembering the Blitz: Introduction

As for Memorials, just a sample:

Firefighters Memorial Charitable Trust - Home
    Vauxhall, Kennington & the Blitz
    http://www.london24.com/l24/pages/s...y=NewNews&itemid=WeED18 Jul 2008 14:19:20:707

3. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

4. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Thanks Nostalgair! Yes, been to Cabinet war rooms a couple of times, very interesting! Was in nothern Queensland, Australia some years ago and passing a town called Mareeba I suddenly found something called "Becks Aviation and Military Museum", a very big privately owned museum. Talked to the owner for a while and it was very amusing finding this on the tableland west of Cairns.
    Got an interesting book, bought on ebay, today by mail. It was called, "The Blitz London now and then" by John Neville from 1990. Covered with old and "new" photos.

5. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Photo places in London?

Going to London i March to take some photos for my book. Any suggestions (hopefully lesser known!) for good photos to take in London according to WWII??

6. 51highland

51highland Member

7. fenquat

fenquat New Member

[​IMG]

Wall of the Victoria and Albert Museum, Exhibition road, across from the Science Museum.

if you have your eyes open you can still find signs of bomb damage throughout London. From those like above to shrapnel damage sans any signage on walls to describe them. In fact one of the Lions that are on either side of Cleopatra's Oblisk by the Thames shows damage from a zepplain raid in WWI.

When do you plan to be in here in March?

8. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Very interesting, Thanks! I've read that there are rather many shrapnel damages left. Among them at some churches and on a wall of Buckingham Palace. Could be good photospots I hope. I'm going to London from the 4th to the 7th of March and using a couple of days for photographing!

9. fenquat

fenquat New Member

A good book to look for is "Walking the Blitz" or you can consider buying it...here it is at amazon, no idea why the used one is so expensive. The last time I was at the Imperial War Museum they had copies as well

Walking the London Blitz (Battleground Europe): Amazon.co.uk: Clive Harris: Books

Another good place to visit is the London Museum, a few years ago on December 29 we did a Blitz walk from there, it is tucked up behind St Paul's.

You can also go on a Blitz walk with these guys most every thursday in the ST Paul's area. The Blitz - London Walks London at War

It's a great walking town

10. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Yes already got that book plus another VERY GOOD one called London's War - a traveller´s guide to WWII by Sayre van Young. Was at London Docklands Museum last June, mostly for the The Jack The Ripper-exhibition but found it was an excellent museum in many other ways! A good part showing docklands during the Blitz.
    Yes I'm planning to take the London Walks-tour (and for sure some of their pubwalks!!!) this time!

11. fenquat

fenquat New Member

If you are going to do the Blitz walk, post and I might be able to join you. Was just in that area yesterday (to see where William Wallace was killed).

12. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Planning to do that on Thursday 5th. Would be glad to meet you there. Give you my mailadress here: mail@mindthegap.se

13. fenquat

fenquat New Member

Places I have noticed blast damage, shrapnel damage. ST Barts Hospital along the wall where the wallace plaque is. The fenceing in front of the Natural History museum on Cromwell. The mentioned V&A damage. Along the front wall and inside the gates of the British Museum. Inside the court yard of the Royal Art Society (off Piccadilly) St James church (piccadilly), a store front along North Audley in Mayfair. aThere is a plaque to the citizens of Chelsea killed by raids in WW11 off of Kings Road. Behind Sloane Square is one for 60 some US service men killed by a V1. Close by to the palace is the rebuilt Guardsmen Chaple, destroyed during services.

A book you may want to try and find is: The London County Council bomb damage maps 1939-1945

14. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Excellent! Thanks very much for that!

15. fenquat

fenquat New Member

Just sent you an e-mail, in case it gets lost, see you on the 5th at the meeting point for the walk. I have a brown hat and speak fluent 'american'.

16. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Perfect! Thanks for mail! See u!

17. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Thanks!

Back from my London-tour this time with lots of interesting photos. Thanks everyone on the Forum for giving me suggestions, details, links and stories about The Blitz. More are welcome and you can also email me on mail@mindthegap.se/Tomas

18. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Hi!
    Two Questions:
    1. Anyone knows any good sources for old London Blitz and London 1940's photos?
    2. Anyone "expert" knows details on copyrights for this old photos?

19. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

There was a wartime publication called The Blitz, issued I think by the Ministry of Information. It was a booklet, along the same lines as many others like Bomber Command, Coastal Command etc.

These publications are out of copyright.

Another source is the Imperial War Museum:
    Imperial War Museum Collections Online Database

They hold copyright and one needs to contact them about the use of photos. But they are probably the largest repository of blitz photographs

20. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Thanks Kyt! Found some Blitz pictures on the US National Archive that was public domain. Funny some of the pics are pd and some are not!