London war memories from WW II.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Tomgus, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Working on research for a book (in Swedish) about London during WW II and the memories in the city today. Any suggestions for places in London that are not so famous?
    Thanks!
    Tomas G/Sweden

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Tomgus

welcome to the forum. Most people think of the war affecting the East End. It would be worth exploring the affect of the war on the west End subarbs. For example try to have a look at the book Ealing At War, which contains memories and events affecting that borough.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Welcome to the forum Tom. Try Subterranea Brittanica for a few sites in London and the surrounding area, though you'll have to wade through this list in order to find them.

What are you looking for specifically?

4. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Hi Kyt and THANK YOU!
    Got the two Blitz-walking books and "East End now and then" from After The battle, but will take a look at the Ealing at War. Did a small photo-session in London in June 2008 (found the Shelter-signs in Westminster etc) and will try to do another in 2009.

5. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Hi Kitty!
    MANY THANKS! Great site, will help me a lot I Think!
    Will make the book as a guidebook for those interested in the war years and make London i five or six chapters with "places" like V1 Mile End-site, The RAF-church in the city, Cabinet War Rooms plus, I hope, lots of other places.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Tom, don't forget the Tower, which was used as a high security prison. Many underground stations were used as factories, some are still classified now. The many clubs available (ask Kyt who has an original guide for servicemen). The theatres.

Also the sites of some of the big guns and balloons. Am sure there some info on them out there somewhere.

8. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

The BBC site BBC - WW2 People's War which is now closed to new contributions is a wonderful source of anecdotal information.

9. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Good point, Kitty and many good suggestions - THANKS!! There´s another fascinating story about The Tower and the prisoners there during World War I. One spy was a Swede Ernst Valdemar Melin, the son of a parlament member in Sweden and as it seems a most pathetic man. But 1915 he was executed in The Tower and his (very unknown) story is another that I've written about in some Swedish papers and magazines. One day I'm going to visit National Archive in Kew looking up more facts about him.

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

11. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Don't know if you've seen this already ... but this is interesting !! :)

London at war - Exploring 20th Century London resources
    This site is maintained by a collaboration between 11 leading London museums including : Museum of London; London’s Transport Museum; Jewish Museum, London and Croydon Museum and Heritage Service. It aims to provide free online access to images and objects from the museums' collections, linking them to the broader social, economic and political history of London in the 20th Century. The site includes a searchable database of the images which all have associated text setting them in their context. This section contains materials relating to the First and Second World wars. It includes materials relating to the London blitz, images of bomb damage and the home front . Images include documents, artefacts, leaflets, object and photographs. Copyright and technical information is provided on the website.

Exploring 20th Century London

12. liverpool annie

13. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Wow! Such fantastic sources you are!!! Many THANKS! Much to develop now!

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

well make sure you keep coming back Tom, we really want some input on the war in scandiavia too :D

15. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Absolutely - will be back! WWII interests me very much, specially from Londons history view. Got two personal websites (in Swedish!) mindthegap.se about Londons history and englishgarden.se about English gardens and gardening! THANKS!

16. liverpool annie

You probably have all this already ... but just in case !! :gossip:

Ernst Waldemar Melin

Ernst Melin

Ernst Waldemar Melin
    This Swede arrived in January 1915 and was arrested in June. He was tried in August and executed in September 1915.

Detecting your browser settings

Detecting your browser settings

17. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

18. Keith

Keith New Member

A storyof the London Blitz

19. Tomgus

Tomgus New Member

Hi Keith and a HAPPY NEW 2009 to you! Many Thanks for the amazing story, exactly what I'm looking for.

20. Keith

Keith New Member

London Blitz Memories

Hi Tomgus,
    Glad you liked my tale, and thanks for your good wishes.
    Another tale not so pleasant, my stepfather was a manager at the Cafe de Paris in London which was bombed on his night off.
    The following morning they found that the bomb had landed in the centre of the restaurant, the blast had risen about three feet into the air and decapitated most of the diners, who were still sat at their tables.
    My mother drove an ambulance during the blitz, never having had a driving lesson in her life and couldn't drive after the hostilities ended.
    I remember just as the war was ending I returned to London which I had left when nearly 8 years old, and finding my way back to our house in West Kensington by heading for the barrage baloon that had been sited in Queens Club of Tennis fame, which was very near our home.
    If I think of any more I'll post them
    Best wishes for the New Year.
    Cheers
    Keith