John Lewis : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Lewis, John Morris Clement played for Wales

Internationals: 11 : 1912 E- ; 1913 S+ (1t 1c) F+ (1t 1c) I+ ; 1914 E- S+ (1d) F+ I+ (2c) ; 1921 I+ ; 1923 E- S- (1t)

John Lewis was born on 22 June 1890

Played as a Fly half for: Cambridge University (Blue 1913, 1919), Cardiff, Barbarians, Mother Country

Profession: Colliery salesman, Cardiff docks/schoolmaster.

War service: Lieutenant, 16th (Cardiff City) Battalion, Welsh Regiment, 115th Brigade, 38th (Welsh) Division; the battalion wore a special “Arms of Cardiff” collar badge. He was wounded in 1917.

Remarks: Played for Barbarians: v South African Services (9-3) in 1915. On 17 April 1915 he played for a Welsh XV v The Barbarians at Cardiff Arms Park in what was termed a ‘Military International’ between Wales and England, designed to boost recruiting for the newly-formed Welsh Guards and to raise money. Wales fielded a near International team with only one uncapped player (Dan Callan of the Royal Munster Fusiliers). The Barbarian side has 12 Englishmen, 2 Irishmen and 1 Welshman (South African International Joseph Partridge). He kicked a dropped goal in the match, won by the Barbarians 26-10, which raised £200. Played six times for Mother Country XV in the 1919 King’s Cup tournament. Played for Cambridge University, Cardiff and Wales both before and after the War. Scored 2 tries for Cardiff v Pontypridd 15 January 1921, when his brother Ivor scored 4 tries.

He died on 27 October 1944, in Porthcawl