John Argentine Campbell : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, May 7, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who died during The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Campbell, John Argentineplayed for Scotland

Internationals: 1 : 1900 I =

John Campbell was born on 20 October 1877

Played as a Forward for: Fettes College, Cambridge University (Blue 1897-1899)

Profession: Schoolmaster and rancher

Remarks: Athletics blue 1898

War service: Lieutenant 17th Lancers, then 6th Dragoons (Iniskilling), Mhow Brigade, 1st Indian Cavalry Division.

He was reported missing in action in France on 1 December 1917, and died of wounds in a German hospital. He is buried in Honnechy British Cemetery, Nord, France [I.A. 2.].

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Fettes College WW1 Memorial ...... a little hard to see but John is there !

Attached Files:

3. liverpool annie

He must have lived in Argentina .......

John Campbell; b 20 Oct 1843 Glasgow. d 11 Jun 1915, Buenos Aires.
    married 24 Dec 1873 in Buenos Aires
    Mary Rosary Robson; b 11 Jun 1852, Entre Rios. d 10 Feb 1930, Eastbourne.
    Children:

Maud Elizabeth Birrell Campbell; 19 Nov 1874 - 13 Mar 1876
    Leila Scott Campbell; 31 May 1876 - ? m Robert Stanley Mallett (4 children)
    John Argentine Campbell; 20 Nov 1877 - 2 Dec 1917 m Myra Grant (3 children)
    Roderick Hugh Campbell; 27 Jul 1880 - 1 Apr 1904

Monumental Inscriptions–St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Buenos Aires

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church (otherwise known as "the City Church" or "the Scots Church") is situated in central Buenos Aires, Avenida Belgrano 579.

The present church was built between 1894 and 1896. In 1950, as a consequence of the plan to widen Avenida Belgrano, the tower was taken down. Its plan consists of a substantial, single aisled nave and a short choir and chancel. A crossing is formed by its having two transepts. The orientation of the building is unconventional, being as much the result of its location in the neighhood.

As a result, the porch by which the congregation enter is located in the south wall, on Avenida Belgrano. Its corresponding, facing, wall, that behind the communion table, is the north wall. The transepts are known as the east and west transepts.

In the locations of the memorials listed below, this orientation is used, it being the format adopted by the authors of "A Hundred Years in Buenos Aires, 1829-1929: Being a brief account of St. Andrew's Scots Chuch and its work, during the first century of its existence", and the current leaflet "Bienvenidos a la Iglesia Presbiteriana San Andrés del Centro".

Memorial to the Fallen of the First World War (1914-1919)

David Lyall Anderson
    William G. Lacey
    Magnus M. Angus
    William Weir Laird
    John Lyle Barr
    John Archibald McColl
    Andrew Baxter
    David McCorquodale
    Thomas Beattie
    John Stewart McHardy
    Thomas H. Bell
    John McRostie
    Allan Brodie
    Frederick McWilliam
    Arthur S. Buchanan
    Hugh Meikle Miller
    Walter Bell Burns
    Harold Methven Musson
    John Argentine Campbell
    Rev. W. N. Monteith
    Herbert David Coldwell
    Alfred Mountjoy
    Norman Cobbold
    William Gilmour Moore Orr
    Ian Stavely Drysdale
    Raymond Stanley Pearse
    Henry Howard Drysdale
    Victor Ernest Irvine Reid
    Donald Roy Drysdale
    William Halliday Reynolds
    James J. W. Fairbairn
    Joseph Robinson
    Gibson Finlayson
    Ben Matthews Roberts
    William James Nisbet Glasgow
    Edmund Inglis Runciman
    George Hugh Graham
    Alexander Shrewsbury
    William H. Grassick
    Charles Faulkner Smith
    Cecil B. Grundy
    Kenneth Struthers
    John Mackie Hay
    Peter Sutherland
    William Muir Hayman
    Charles Peter Waddle
    Frank Henderson
    Geoffrey Philip Walsh
    James Moore Hopson
    Alfred Ernest Walter
    Robert Colvill Jones
    George H. White
    Thomas Colvill Jones
    Robert Scott Whigham

These laid the world away
    Poured out the red sweet
    1914–wine of youth–1919

http://www.argbrit.org/MIs/MIs.htm

4. liverpool annie

In Memory of
    Lieutenant JOHN ARGENTINE CAMPBELL

6th Dragoons (Inniskilling)
    who died age 40
    on 02 December 1917
    Husband of Myra G. Campbell. Scottish Rugby International.

Remembered with honour
    HONNECHY BRITISH CEMETERY

5. liverpool annie

Well I read that he was born in Flores .... which is close to Java ??

Thats interesting huh ? .... quite a Heinz 57 ! .... I'd like to find a picture of his headstone .....

6. liverpool annie

7. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Among the names on the St Andrews' Memorial are Thomas and Robert Colvill-Jones, both died while serving in the RAF. Capt T Colvill-Jones flew Bristol Fighters in Nos 20 and 48 Sqns, and was credited with 11 victories before he died of wounds on 24 May 1918, making him the equal highest-scoring Argentine-born fighter pilot. His biography Your Ever Loving Son, by grand-niece Lorraine Colvill-Jones, ISBN 978 987 1121 32 8, was published in English and Spanish in 2008.

Capt R Colvill-Jones MC was an observer in No 57 Sqn and was killed in action on 4 November 1918.

Gareth

8. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

No entry that I can find in the Blue's Register, this is the 1897 Cambridge team. John Campbell is the centre player in the rear standing row.

Andy

Attached Files:

9. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Robert Colvill-Jones from the Dulwich College Roll of Honour

Attached Files:

10. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Thomas Colvill-Jones from the same source.

Attached Files:

11. liverpool annie

12. Andy Pay

Andy Pay Member

Hi Annie,
    Robert was an old 13th Rifle Brigade officer, M.C. 26-9-17 For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. With great skill and initiative he pushed forward his outpost line in daylight in full view of the enemy, and established them in shell holes, afterwards taking out a strong patrol by night and establishing an advanced post within forty yards of the enemy. Although several casualties were sustained, his objective was attained, which was that of observation, and during the whole of this period he made several daring reconnaissances by daylight in front of the line, displaying great coolness and absolute disregard of danger.

Andy

13. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Andy

Thanks for the Colvill-Jones photos; I'll print them up and put them in my copy of Your Ever Loving Son. The story of the Argentine-born Britons who served is interesting, as they could have easily chosen to stay at home in their neutral land of birth rather than fighting for their families' country of origin.

Gareth

14. H.A. Laffaye MD

H.A. Laffaye MD New Member

Re: John Argentine Campbell, Scottish Rugby International

John Argentine Campbell was a remarkable man. Born in Argentina in 1877, John was one of four sons born to John Campbell and his wife Mary Rosary Robson, a sister of Hugh Scott Robson, a 9-goal polo player. Like many Britons in Argentina, young John was sent to Scotland for his education. At Fettes College in Edinburgh he was named School Captain. Cambridge University was the next step. Campbell represented Cambridge in athletics, cricket, and rugby three times in the annual match versus Oxford. An exceptional athlete-student, he played for Scotland against Ireland. This is most likely the first instance of an Argentine playing in international rugby. Following graduation from Cambridge, Campbell returned to Argentina to farm at estancia El Jabalí in Carlos Casares, currently the property of his grandson, John Argentine Campbell, III.
    Campbell found time to represent Argentina in the first cricket test match against England, Lord Hawke's M.C.C. XI in 1912, adding another honor to his illustrious sporting career.
    His famous pony Old Boy was awarded the Lady Susan Townley Cup in 1909, as the best polo pony in the Polo Association of the River Plate Championship. When the first handicap list was published in Argentina, John Campbell was at the top, in the good company of his uncle Hugh Scott Robson, Lewis Lacey and Joseph Edmund Traill, all rated at 9-goals.
    Campbell’s own Western Camps team won the P.A.R.P. Championship in 1907 and 1909. His teammates were Henry Howard Drysdale (killed in WWI) and Richard Leared in both occasions, Stanley Mallet and his own foreman at El Jabalí, Eduardo Lucero.
    When World War I broke out, Campbell’s strong sense of duty came to the fore, exemplified by his letter to Lewis Lacey:

“Aug. 5, ‘14
    Dear Lewis
    I have just heard that war is declared between England and Germany. Although possibly it may seem foolish, I would prefer not to play public polo while our people are at it over there; so I hope you will allow me to stand out. I feel that if one can go in for games at this time we shouldn’t be here but should be on the way to the other side. What I do hope is that the Almighty, on whom that big German emperor is always calling, will give the Germans such a hiding that they wont rise up again for another 100 years!
    Yours,
    (Signed) J.A. Campbell
    Will you tell Casares and Holway I am very sorry not to play with them.” (15)

John Campbell, by then in his late thirties, volunteered in 1915 and was commissioned into the Inniskilling Dragoons, incidentally, a polo-playing regiment. As a 40-year-old lieutenant, he died in France as the consequence of wounds sustained on 2 December 1917. Campbell, married to Myrna Grant Campbell, rests in Honnechy British Cemetery, a small village in the Department of the Nord, France.