Japanese Flower Code

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Ferhilt, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

I had someone pose the following question to me, can anyone expand or verify this?

I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Thanks!

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

All I could find was this ..... think this could be what they're talking about ??

Asian American Empowerment - Japanese Americans Record Stories of WWII Internment

Annie

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Yes, I have heard the urban-myths about the use of flowers or other plants etc to use as aerial guides.

Well, I say urban-myths though they were ones believed my the US government too. I am trying to track down a story that appeared in Time magazine (in 1942 I think) that made a laughing stock of the US government because they believed they had found arrows pointing to an airfield, made up of hay bales. Turned out to be a coincidence, and one had to stare very hard to make out any arrows anyway.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Heard similar in this country where partially harvested fields, which formed arrows, got the farmer into trouble as spotter aircaft had seen the 'arrows', which merely happened to point towards a near by airfield, and reported it.

Turns out the farmer had merely knocked off the harvest as the dew had risen. There was a lot of paranoia going on all over at the time.

5. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

I read that same article Annie, and I'm sure it was all based off paranoia. I just wondered if anyone had heard anything more about it.

Thanks guys!

6. Tiornu

Tiornu New Member

The Japanese had no plans for an aerial attack on the continental US. How would they accomplish such a thing? There were never any such prospects until after the Doolitle Raid when a single submarine sent a single floatplane to bomb trees in the Oregon woodlands.