Is This a WW! Grenade?

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by mack, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mack

mack New Member

I have been asked to sell or throw away some items out of a relatives house as they where moving and this item caught mu eye am quite sure its a hand grenade but i cannot fine any information in it, It is stamped "WG&s 1915" the closest i can find is the "Yugoslavian M38 grenade" But my item is alot smoother and more egg shaped it looks like cast iron, its got a brass screw with a hole in the middle and a cut through the middle where i guess the pin went, inside u can see where the grenade would fragment into squares ( like the outside a more modern grenade)

any information would be great so i can judge if its sellable or just junk
    the disc on the bottom removes i think that has been put on there just so it stands up

p.S hI GUYS AND GALS IM NEW :)

Attached Files:

• gren.jpg
      gren.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  2. mack

mack New Member

Oh if u remove the brass screw there what look like a copper pin attached to the screw i guess is the detonator pin??
    and im glad to say is completely empty

3. mack

mack New Member

stumped ya all ?

4. spconnolly007

spconnolly007 The Shiny Seventh

No.34 Mk III (1918) Egg grenade?
    www.tommyspackfillers.com
    WW1 weapons repros, Great War grenades and WW1 Stick grenades weapons replicas available from Tommy's Pack Fillers, a WW1 replicas online store.
    check the link I found above, looks right to me!!

5. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thats the one Sean for sure. Don't think that this one is a replica though. Are you going to be selling it Mack? Let us know how the sale goes if you do, would be interested to know where it goes as well.

Regards
    Sniper [Mike]

6. mack

mack New Member

sorry thats the wrong one that one is alot more elongated than the one i have. i have made more research i have found out its a
    No. 16
    Defensive grenade which was officially adapted in 1917, but already introduced in 1915.
    Matchhead fuze with a 4 seconds delay.
    90mm high, 57mm wide. Weight 510gram including 113gram Ammonal.

The descripton and diagram fit is perfectly

http://http://members.multimania.nl/lexpev/experiences.html
    [​IMG]

ive found out it was also nicknamed a "heavy lemon"

thanks guys/gals with out the above info u gave me i wouldnt have found out what i have just

7. mack

mack New Member

hmm link and pic not working oh well ...

8. spconnolly007

well done! Now you've got to find out how much it's worth, doubt you'll find one on e-bay!!

9. mack

mack New Member

looked all over cant find one for sale specially in this good condition

10. spconnolly007

then I would suggest you hang on to it!! Ive spent quite a lot of money this year collecting such items and get a great deal of pleasure in owning them, and showing them off!!

11. spconnolly007

If ive done it right there should be a better picture of your grenade attached to this message, if not, then im still as stupid as i was yesterday!!

Attached Files: