In Which We Serve

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Antipodean Andy, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

My wife and I sat down with a scotch (me) and a pina colada (her) and finally watched this film on Sunday night. Must say it was bloody good (wild drunks that we are, probably our first drinks in weeks!). My wife enjoyed it as well.

Am intrigued by the Ju 88 footage they used during the attack on Torrin
    that sank her. Anyone know where that came from?

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Haven't seen it for years and so can't remember what I thought of the 88 scenes (it's probably a mixture of real footage, mock-ups and models) but you may find this interesting :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/82/a8404382.shtml

And are you sure that it was the misses with the pina colada (I've always had my doubts about you Andy!)

3. Antipodean Andy

Oh stop it Kytty, I mean Kyt! ;-)

I might be wrong but I couldn't pick any aircraft models in the attack sequence.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

As it was a Ministry of Information collaboration, I'm sure they got a lot of support with original footage, and as the BBC link suggests, they had captured aircraft that they used for close-ups etc. Really must watch it again - it's just that I'm not that big a Noel Coward fan.

5. Antipodean Andy

He does come across as a Captain who cares about his crew in this film. Quite moving in places.

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Now that you have seen the movie and the casting of greats to be and character actors, who would you put in there instead of Coward?

Coward wrote, starred in, composed the music for and co-directed with David Lean. The film was immensely popular on both sides of the Atlantic.

Churchill suggested he do a movie on Mountbatten, so he wrote this. He "was as camp as a row of tents" yet history reveals he was a MI5 operative and would have been on Hitlers death list.

7. Antipodean Andy

I was actually thinking it would be a good film to remake as long as Hollywood didn't do it and it remained RN.

No idea who could take Coward's place back then, don't know the actors well enough. I did notice John Mills' baby played his character's baby (well, same surname anyway!) Struggling to think of someone who could do it now.