If today is your birthday, you share it with...

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Watson, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Watson

Watson Member

USMC General Holland M. "Howlin' Mad" Smith born in Seale, Alabama in 1882, Adolf Hitler born in Braunau, Austria in 1889 and noted American naval author Edward "Ned" Beach who was born in New York City in 1918. And by the way, "Happy Birthday".

cavtrooper likes this.
  2. cavtrooper

cavtrooper Member

I may be wrong,but I believe Smith was the Division commander when my dad went ashore at Tarawa.

Watson likes this.
  3. Watson

Watson Member

It sounds like military service runs in your family.

cavtrooper likes this.
  4. cavtrooper

cavtrooper Member

Well,only back to the year 1777.....

5. Watson

Watson Member

April 23rd-Carl Lucas Norden, inventor of the USAAF's World War II bombsight, was born in Semarang, Java.

Diptangshu and cavtrooper like this.
  6. Watson

Watson Member

April 24th-French Vichy politician Philippe Petain was born in 1856. German Navy commander Erich Raeder was born in 1876 in the town of Wandsbek near Hamburg. Royal Air Force Air Marshal Hugh Dowding, commander of Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain, was born in 1882.

7. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

The Norden Bomb sight :: ~ one of my favorite W2 instruments ......

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Bombardier Ferebee after dropping Little Boy

Please don't forget Sperry Gyroscope-Brooklyn/N.Y too ..... thnx ..

Watson likes this.
  8. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Hi Pat ,

Hope you are doin fine,there. The stuffs you sharing us is , informative enough..But,one thing would you mind if I like to say to change the pattern you presented here[?].I mean.. , instead of making a paragraph for all , if you go for a single line/paragraph for each /different incident ,I think it'll be more effective for me like readers.

eg. ,for the mentioned incidents of 1876 & 1882,since they 're different,would have been better to understand as well as to remember, if written separately.

Thnxs ... Have a nice day..

Dip

9. Watson

Watson Member

No problem, Dip.

10. Watson

Watson Member

April 26th

1886-German General Hans von Seeckt was born. He would serve as Commander-in-Chief of the Reichswehr from 1920 until 1926.
    1894-Rudolph Hess was born in Alexandria, Egypt.
    1896-German General Ernst Udet was born in Frankfurt-am-Main. He would serve as Luftwaffe Director General of Equipment for the Luftwaffe until his suicide on November 17, 1941.

Diptangshu likes this.