Identify These Warships

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by Peter T Davis, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Ok, challenge here for you naval history experts. Can you identify these warships?

battlships.jpg

2. Kbak

Kbak Member

I think it looks like the USS Nevada BB36, and the other two USS Oklahoma BB37 and USS Pennsylvania (BB-38)

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I think you're right. I knew the first two, but since there were only two Nevada class ships built, and the third one if you look closely you can see it's not the same class (though the first time I looked at it I thought I was looking at three ships of the same class). Then, I saw a picture of the Pennsylvania from 1925. It looks just like it. Could also be her sister ship, the Arizona.

I think this photo is an early one, though I can't get the exact date. These ships all looked significantly different by the time they were attacked at Pearl Harbor in 1941. They had all undergone significant retro-fitting during the 1920s and 1930s.

An interesting note, both the Nevada and Oklahoma saw action in both wars, but the Pennsylvania and Arizona, despite having been commissioned in 1916, weren't deployed into areas where they would experience combat. Something about the fuel they used, apparently the coal burning ships were favored in the First World War.

USS_Pennsylvania_1925_SLV_Green.jpg

4. John

John Active Member

What are those round items on both masts - half way up and also on top of the masts'

5. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

I think the ones on at the very top of the masts are called crow's nest. That's where the looks-out would be stationed. The mid-level in the forward mast, just above the wheel house would be the flying bridge. The one at the mid-level of the aft mast would be fire-control. Will have to check that. :cool:

6. John

John Active Member

Thank you Agrippa, you have solved the mystery for me
    John