How many books?

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by MarylandRev, Dec 3, 2006.

1. MarylandRev

MarylandRev New Member

How many Rev Books do you own?

2. bschulte

bschulte New Member

The long answer is "not nearly as many as the number of books on the Civil War I own." The short answer is 15 or so. ;D

3. MarylandRev

MarylandRev New Member

I have about the same Brett! ;D

4. markpeters

markpeters New Member

I have only 5 or 6 specifically on the war, although I have a load more that include elements. Some books are on political figures, regimental histories, naval histories, etc.

My first contact with the war was through an English war gaming book that detailed Guildford Court House. It also detailed 2nd Mannassas as I recall! 8)

5. The General

The General New Member

I have 15 or 20 plus another 3 or 4 on the War of 1812. Certainly, it's nothing even remotely close to the 2000 or so that I have on the Civil War.

Eric

6. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Like a lot of you, nowhere near as many as I own on CW topics. A handful of general histories and a bit on some of the actions near where I grew up in Western PA (Gen Bradock etc.)

7. MarylandRev

MarylandRev New Member

I was looking at my Rev books and they're mostly Reference:

The Delaware Continentals 1776-1783 by Ward
    Maryland Revolutionary Records by Harry Wright Newman
    Maryland Line during the Revolution by Theodore Balch published 1857
    Maryland Loyalists in the American Revolution by New
    Maryland Militia in the Revolutionary War by Clements and Wright
    The Maryland Line by Steuart
    Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the American Revolution
    Virginia Soldiers in the American Revolution compiled by Hamilton Eckenrode 2 volumes
    The Journal and Order Book of Captain Robert Kirkwood of the Delaware Regiment of the Continental Line published 1919
    Liberty and Independence The Delaware State during the American Revolution
    Robert Alexander, Maryland Loyalist by Janet B. Johnson
    Maryland during the American Revolution by Dole

plus several books dealing with the War of 1812 that deal with Maryland's involvement

While the majority of my collection is Civil War, I'm a sucker for military books that have a Maryland or Delaware interest. ;D

8. mvkwasny

mvkwasny New Member

I'll have to reverse the trend, and say I own many more books on the Revolution than on any other conflict, with the Napoleonic Wars coming in second, I think. I have never counted my books, it certainly is not in the thousands, probably only a hundred or two on the Revolution.

9. bschulte

bschulte New Member

I do happen to have quite a few books on the War of 1812. Probably my second favorite period of naval history occurs during the Age of Sail and involves the so-called U.S. "superfrigates", the three big 44s (Constitution, United States, and President) and the three smaller, though still pound for pound very deadly, frigates (Constellation, Congress, and Chesapeake). The War with the Barbary Pirates fascinates me. Stephen Decatur was almost a caricature with all of the things he did, especially the burning of the Philadelphia in Tripoli's harbor! Sorry to get so off topic. I got excited by Ian Toll's new book Six Frigates, which I just recently finished.

Brett

10. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Just checked my bookshelves and I found 57 volumes relating to the Revolutionary War and Colonial period. Quite a few are biographies and local histories. Most of them come from the Visitor's centers at Valley Forge and Colonial Williamsburg. The local histories were printed for various historical societies in my area.

I really enjoy biographies and especially like anything about Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

Regards,

Pam

11. The General

The General New Member

If we're counting bios, then I have about 35. Good point, Pam.

Eric

12. tonyt

tonyt New Member

I have about 800 CW books but only about 15 Rev War books and a couple on French and Indian and War of 1812 . I drift through stages World War I and II etc... I'm now stacking on the floor .

13. bschulte

bschulte New Member

LOL. Same here. My entire collection of baseball books is on the floor in deference to my history and horror collections. I need to go out and buy probably two more large bookcases to be set for awhile. It's a fun problem to have though.

Brett

14. Basecat

Basecat New Member

Evening all.

Not surprisingly, I really don't have all that many books on the Revolutionary War here. The one I devoured when I was a kid and the one I still have today is "The Revolutionary War" by Bart McDowell. The book was printed by the National Geographic Society, and the main reason why it stuck out with me were the colorful battle landscapes showing just what happened on the battlefields. I guess they are much akin to the maps in the "American Heritage of the Civil War" volume that has been frequently cited elsewhere.

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

15. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Less than 10. Looking for books specifically on Cowpens & Guillford CH. Also would like to read a bio of Banastre Tarelton. A direct ancestor of mine states on his pension papers that he recetved a sabre wound from "the Butcher."

Recommendations?

Mike Peters, AKA Patriot

16. tonyt

tonyt New Member

I'm away from books but will post later but I have a couple of books on Cowpens one is part of the war college set , similar to the CW ones . There was also a Tarletion biography I picked up at the Cowpens book store . He actually was a fascinating character . You might want to check the Cowpens NPS web site you might be able buy through there .
    Tony

17. The General

The General New Member

I just loved A Devil of a Whipping by Lawrence E. Babits. I thought it was a really outstanding example of a small unit tactical history. I commend it to anyone who hasn't read it but who has an interest in Cowpens.

Eric

18. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric & Tony:

Much obliged!

Rspectfully,

Mike Peters

19. tonyt

tonyt New Member

I to enjoyed "Devil of a Whipping"

20. John Ray

John Ray New Member

At the last count 350+ most of these I purchased many years ago. Mainly the Southern theater,Caribbean, Saratoga campaign and the raids from Canada against the New York Frontier. Have I read them all NO! But many are fascinating including the journals.

John