Hot Water & Ground Squirrel Bridge

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Patriot, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

I'm hoping this is the right area to post this. Please forgive me if it is not.

I am looking for information on the battles/skirmishes of "Hot Water" & "Ground Squirrel Bridge." I believe they were in the "Southern Theater" of operations. An ancestor who fought in these actions, according to pension papers, also participated at Cowpens, Guillford CH, Charlottesville and Yorktown.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters, AKA Patriot

2. jmkell33

jmkell33 New Member

Mike,

See Lafayette's Virginia Campaign (1781) for an overview of the campaign which included mention of Ground Squirrel Bridge. See it on the 'Net at Xenophon Group Military Database. It figured in Cornwallis's movements around Elk Hill in Virginia near the end of his campaign leading up to Yorktown.
    Don't know anything about "Hot Water".

Regards,

Jack Kelly

3. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Jack:

Appreciate the information!

Mike Peters

4. jmkell33

jmkell33 New Member

Mike,

While digging through some Virginia pamphlets for a future RV trip to western Virginia, I came across some information on Hot Springs, VA. I wonder if this may be the "Hot Water" you asked about. The Springs (named Hot, Warm, and Healing) are located near Roanoke. Banastre Tarleton raided this area in 1781 when he attempted to capture the governor of VA (Thomas Jefferson) and the VA legislature meeting at Monticello. Maybe he, or some of his troopers, got as far as Hot Springs?

Regards,

Jack Kelly

5. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Jack:

I'm betting you're right on this one. Banastre Tarleton seems to be in every other conflict in which my ancestor participated. So why not here as well.

Man this is good stuff! Thanks again for the information.

Mike Peters, AKA Patriot

6. fusilier

fusilier New Member

Ground Squirrel Bridge is located on US 33 just east of VA 791, northwest of Glen Allen, VA (modern place) as one goes from the West End of Richmond toward Louisa. It is in Hanover Co., Va.

7. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Fusilier:

Thank you very kindly for the directions. I was down that way in October. Next time I'll know exactly where to look.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters