Hospital Ship Aquitania

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jun 18, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

R.M.S. Aquitania was requisitioned by the Government to serve as an armed merchant cruiser, she was converted in Liverpool. After that the Aquitania was then commissioned into the Royal Navy on August 7 1914.

The now H.M.S. Aquitania first assignment was to patrol the Western Approaches. On her next voyage she collided with the Leyland ship Canadian on August 22 1914 during thick fog.
    The conclusion was - after the subsequent inquiry - that the Aquitania was too large to be used as a armed merchant cruiser. After repair work was done, the Aquitania was again requisitioned by the Government in June 18 1915 as a troopship and assist in the Gallpoli campaign.

The now H.M.T. Aquitania left Liverpool on June 25 1915 with over 5,000 troops on board. Only after three voyages as a troop transport the Aquitania was then converted into a hospital ship.

The now H.M.H.S Aquitania could carry about 4,200 wounded, which was more then Titanic's sister Britannic, which could carry 3,309 wounded. Together they made a great team.

In 1918 with the entry of the United States into the war, she was converted to a transport, and for the rest of the war she carried American troops to Europe.
    After the Armistice in November she was used to transport the troops back to the United States

The lovely Aquitania !!

this ship was always a favourite in our house ... I had two uncles that worked on her !! :D

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=aquit

Attached Files:

2. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi LA,
    Did your uncles work on her (stay with her) through each conversion?
    Or were they transferred to other vessels when a conversion was happening?
    This vessel underwent many changes, Liner,Merchant Cruiser,Troopship,Hospital ship, Troopship.
    That is an amazing amount of roles she played.

Cheers
    GW

3. liverpool annie

They even collided with her !! :(

She was a very special ship in Liverpool apparently .... her and the Lusitania held special places in the hearts of Scousers !! ;)

4. cally

cally New Member

Thats a coincidence Annie as Aquitania has always been one of my favourite ships both as a Liner and as a Hospital ship.

I have many photographs postcards and pictures of her in all guises. Here is a small selection...

Attached Files:

5. liverpool annie

Attached Files:

6. liverpool annie

Of course my family didn't get to hang out in 1st class ... !! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. cally

cally New Member

Here is a variation of your 1913 picture.

Attached Files:

8. liverpool annie

Ooooh your picture is better !!!!!!!!!!!!

She's something else isn't she ?? :)