HMTB Havock

Discussion in 'Military Modelling' started by Keith, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Adrian,
    Had stitches out, now very sore.
    Tried looking in Janes Warships WW1, too difficult to hold.
    Found these on net, in case you haven't seen them.

Hope to be in better form by W/e.

Cheers
    Keith
    ps. posted new title so you would recognise it.

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Hi Keith
    I hope your hand heals up well; it must be a nuisance only having the use of one hand in all sorts of ways, as well as model-making.

Thanks for the photos- I have seen these ones. You won't find HMTBD Havock (which was spelt with a 'k' apparently) in "Janes Fighting Ships of WW1"; she was scrapped in 1912. (Twenty years wasn't bad for a lightly-built prototype). But many of the later Torpedo Boat Destroyers served in WW1.

My principle source-book was "The First Destroyers" (David Lyons). If you think the funnels look rather small, it was because she was fired by two locomotive boilers placed end to end. All her sisters had the conventional water-tube boilers, and in 1901 she was re-built with these and had three funnels. She was the fastest ship in the world when launched in 1893, at 27 knots, and some later TBDs could exceed 30 knots.

I'm going to be away on our family holiday from first thing Wednesday 29th, so I won't be able to look at any of your pictures after that.

If anyone reading this wonders what we are talking about - see the thread "Lancaster Tail Feathers", in the War in the Air section.

Adrian