History Lesson About The Proclamation Emancipation

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by teamrose, Oct 10, 2012.

1. teamrose

teamrose Member

I ran across some interesting stuff about the Proclamation Emancipation. Apparently it was a war powers decree from Lincoln that only applied to blacks in Southern States and not to slaves in states still in the Union. IE freeing only slaves in the confederacy and not ALL slaves.

This lead me into reading about the reconstruction and the KKK that formed during that time. That in turn lead me to an article talking about how many people were actually killed by the KKK. Seems the total number ranged from about 3000 to 6000 and some of these killed were white. This occurred primarily from 1860 to 1960 or 100 years. Apparently most deaths occurred during three 10 year bands. No idea if this were constant or bunched but if random maybe 1-2 thousand people a year during each band. There were 3-4 million black in the US around the civil war. Maybe a one in two thousand chance of getting killed by the KKK in any year even if the black population had not increased ten fold over this time.

Interesting to me was something called the ironclad oath.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironclad_Oath

"Congress originally devised the oath in July 1862 for all federal employees, lawyers and federal elected officials. It was applied to Southern voters in the Wade-Davis Bill of 1864, which President Abraham Lincoln pocket vetoed. President Andrew Johnson also opposed it"
    <appended to add: This kept confederates totally out of office and was to prevent all confederates from voting ever>

I did not realize that this total number involved three separate organizations. 1860s to 1870s, 1920s, third right around ww2. Funny how wars bring out hatreds. I suppose social media does what it can to polarize people to hare the enemy and people are now trained to kill and are made proficient in it by the state.

I can understand how being unable to have any say in their future would have enraged the former leaders of any country. I suspect this very law fed into the KKK activities regarding present day murder per wiki

"In the US, murder is the leading cause of death for African American males aged 15 to 34. Between 1976 and 2008, African Americans were victims of 329,825 homicides.[60][61] In 2006, Federal Bureau of Investigation's Supplementary Homicide Report indicated that nearly half of the 14,990 murder victims were Black (7421).[62] In the year 2007 non-negligent homicides, there were 3,221 black victims and 3,587 white victims. While 2,905 of the black victims were killed by a black offender, 2,918 of the white victims were killed by white offenders. There were 566 white victims of black offenders and 245 black victims of white offenders.[63] It should be noted that the "white" category in the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) includes non-black Hispanics.[64"

Assuming there were around 30 million blacks here in US then the odd of being murdered for a black are possibly twice what it was during the height of the KKK days.

Just something to think about. No agenda here, just presenting numbers I ran across that may or may not be true. In fact I would welcome other peoples research. I did expect the death rate to be more significantly elevated however.

2. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Member

So Lincoln only wanted to free slaves in the hands of the Confederates? That's quite interesting. Slavery was alive in the north as well, so I wonder if this played a part.

3. teamrose

teamrose Member

Slavery was alive and well in the North, but there were plenty of free black people.

4. pilot2fly

pilot2fly Member

Ah I see. So did Lincoln want to get rid of slavery in the north as well? He certainly made it clear that the south was to abolish it.