History Commemorated in Business?

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by DancingLady, Oct 29, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

I live in Springfield, Missouri for one school year and they had a mall there called Battlefield Mall. I come from Oregon, so obviously there is a huge culture difference here, but I immediately thought that was morbid and kind of disrespectful. I ended up having to go there a couple of times, not because I wanted to do. I never really could get it off my mind that this was a place where people died. I was unfortunately rather traumatized by a certain movie a HS history teacher made us watch, so this was not pleasant to have on my mind at all.

I didn't say much about it because it was pretty obvious that the other college students did not think there was anything odd about giving a mall such a name. How do you all feel about it? Is this a common occurrence in the south that everyone just accepts?

2. Kate

Kate Active Member

Hmmm... good question. It's something that I've never considered odd and I see it all the time both in the north and the south. The one near Springfield you mentioned must be the Battle of Wilson's Creek, yes? (Missouri was a border state, so not northern or southern.)

Anyhow, I don't see it as disrespectful at all and I'm rather picky about that stuff usually. I've eaten at Battlefield Fries, grabbed deli items at Battlefield Market, and there are more as well. There's a Sharpshooter's Bar and Grille... very near where sharpshooters did a *lot* of serious damage. I've never thought about the issue you mentioned. (Oh, it's certainly not just a southern thing... I'm Yank through and through!) :)

I'll look forward to see other replies on this.