Hi!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mehar, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mehar

Mehar New Member

Hi everyone, I'm Mehar Gill! I was born in 1990 and am currently a university student working towards a business related degree.

In the 30s my grandfather had joined the Indian Army, when World War II hit he was stationed "somewhere near Germans", I believe at one point he may have been near Egypt. You could probably tell I don't know much about his service, I do hope to change that eventually. Because of my grandfather my "area of expertise" is largely the Pacific theater, although I do know a few things about other areas.

I am a firm believer in the philosophy that nothing is ever clear cut thanks greatly in part to my study of the Pacific. Because of this I will often find myself coming to the defense of soldiers, civilians, etc on all sides of the war if it seems they are "worthy" of such a thing. It is not my intent to offend anyone by doing such a thing. Don't worry, I don't believe in parties, I believe in people. ;)

When it comes to war forums I usually hang out at another forum, but I thought I should branch out to learn as much as I possibly can. Although I registered here first I haven't posted much here, I do hope to change that however. I've already seen a few familiar names, hope to get to know the rest just as well. :)

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome, Mehar.

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Hi Mehar; I think you'll find us a friendly bunch.

Unfortunately a lot of those such as your grandfather who actually did the fighting didn't want to talk about it much; a mix of modesty and trauma. So its up to later generations to find out what they did.

I hope you have some success in this.

Adrian

4. Mehar

Mehar New Member

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Adrian: There were a few cases where my grandfather did talk about his experiences but never too much. Living in Canada I would have to go to India to visit him, he passed away in 2006, I really never thought such a thing could happen, boyhood ignorance if you will. In hindsight it seems I may not have asked the right questions, not enough, etc.

But thank you for the wishes, I and many others in my situation will need all the luck we can get! :)

5. DFC

DFC New Member

Hi Welcome Mehar ,I think you will find most of us will not bite .!!
    Cheers AJ

6. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Welcome Mehar,
    It's ok to share your thoughts & opinions.
    Facts are Facts, People's opinions are innumerable.
    There is an old saying which I'll clean up:
    Opinions are like bottoms, everyone's got one.

Cheers
    GW

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome Mehar,

Good luck with your quest.

What is your particular interest in the Pacific?

Cheers

8. Mehar

Mehar New Member

Well said, I figured I should "clear the air" now to avoid and mess ups down the line.

Mostly fields of study surrounding the infantry aspect of the Pacific. Although to a certain extent I have ventured into the aerial aspect of things, mostly thanks to Bushidoism.

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Oh Kyt is gonna love you and completely convert you to the Airforce perspective :D

Welcome to the forum Mehar.

10. Mehar

Mehar New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Kyt, that name sounds familiar. Another Pacific fan I take it?

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

He's our Burma airforce person, also BoB nut. ;)

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome Mehar

Not too au fait with the Pacific theatre as it was mainly the American domain but am interested in Burma, especially the air war, and the areas of SE Asia where the Commonwealth fought (mainly our Anzac friends).

And I have a strong interest in the Indian Air Force and Indians who served in RAF