Hi from Canberra man

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Canberra Man, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Canberra Man

Canberra Man New Member

Hi Folks.
    I'm Ken. Done a bit! In a way I did all three services! When I left school at fourteen, I worked on the Grimsby naval base HMS Beaver as a naval messenger for two years. I wanted to do my NS in the RAF but they werent taking any so I ended up in the Royal Artillery. Being a glutton for punishment, I was in the Royal Air force with in five months after demob. I trained as electrical mechanic and was posted to 617 squadron at Binbrook on Lincolns. Within six months I was on my fitters course and came back in time to greet the first Canberra B2. in 1955 we went on detatchment to Butterworth in Malaya dropping 1,000 pounders on the terrs. Spent 27 years with Air Cadets. At 77 years young I am doing a bit at the Dumfries Aviation museum making cockpits look nicer. I also help my wife breeding dogs, at the moment we are rearing a beautiful litter of miniature poodles. They go to new homes very soon, we have two left. Thats my hstory, glad to be with you all.

Ken

2. Roxy

Roxy Member

Welcome to the forum, Ken. I am a new boy too, but they have been very welcoming so far!!

I think that your thread title will have our Ozzie's running; they will think that they have another of their own here.

Best of luck at the museum!

Roxy

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome Ken.

Kitty will love your 617sq association.

Glad to see you here and look forward to your posts.

Please let us know how you found us.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Here five minutes and being cheeky already. You have settled in well!

5. Roxy

Roxy Member

Well, you all seemed so friendly!

;-)

Roxy

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome Ken, you have found a happy ship and very knowledegable crew. You are a welcome addition and I hope you enjoy the site.
    Regards
    Hugh

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

617?!

*Has a hyper attack*

8. 51highland

51highland Member

Welcome and enjoy.!!!!!!

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Welcome Ken,

I'm also ex service and at the moment i'm serving with 2410 Squadron ATC. Any tips would be appreciated, lol.

Welcome to the forum and i'm sure you'll really enjoy the guys and gals in here, they are pretty good in here, well i guess they are, haha.

Mike (Sniper) :peep:

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A big welcome to you, Ken. I hope you enjoy it here. Very interested to see your Lincoln and Canberra experience. We have a fellow Canberra "veteran" in the form of mfg - he went on their last o/s deployment recently.

We've got a toy poodle at home called Monty. He's a real character and we couldn't wish for a better dog.

11. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Welcome to the Forum, Ken, I am ex-RAF myself, the nearest I got to Canberras, was a trip in B2 back in 1978! Had great fun, even managed to "drop" a bomb on my old school!

12. Antipodean Andy

Flight in the Lanc and now a Canberra...grr...

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to the forum, sparky

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Best I've managed is a Dragon Rapide (My only flight to date as well)

15. Antipodean Andy

At least you started in style, Kitty.

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

oh hell yeah! :D

17. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

There was also the flight in a Vulcan, 240hrs on Nimrods, 300 odd hours on Puma HC1/1As and 45hours 38 mins in a Vampire T11 plus god knows how many hours riding in the back of C130s! Plus, 8 1/2 hours solo in a Chipmunk T10 and Silver C guilding Wings!

Here is a photo of what was WB567 formally of No 12 AEF RAF Turnhouse, it always flew port wing 5 degrees low because of a construction fault! I flew I flew in her on several occasions!

Attached Files:

18. Roxy

Roxy Member

My students always used to use the 'construction fault' when they flew left wing low!

;-)

Roxy

19. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Ap 4308A-PN says that a trimming tab was fitted to the Starboard Aileron but 567 had also one fitted to the port aileron as well! I remember coming into land in 567 when we met a port crosswind. The instructor and I had to change our underwear when we landed!

20. morse1001

morse1001 Guest