Hi all: pleased to make your acquaintance....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nzvicki, Feb 13, 2008.

1. nzvicki

nzvicki Guest

:peep: I read about this site in Iris Chang's "Rape of Nanking" which documents superbly the forgotten holocaust of WWII. Her "Chinese in America" is equally fascinating, for me, as a Canton-born Chinese who arrived in New Zealand (think: "Lord of the Rings" scenery/All Blacks rugby/America's Cup yachting/kiwifruit etc) just on 60 years ago, but I've never felt this country was my home (think "you can't be a kiwi as you're Asian!"), despite participating in all the ways that contributing citizens do. Iris's perceptive observations have added to my own understanding of the dynamics at play and I feel indebted to her for her gruelling research and am sad that she is now lost to her loved ones and us.

I've a LOT to learn about the history of everyone, everywhere, but suspect that your insights will give me much food for thought. I know so little of my own origins for unavoidable reasons so would greatly appreciate anyone giving me references or information re conditions around the Canton area during the Japanese occupation when I was born. When a middle-aged university student I did an essay on Jewish holocaust and can see the similarities of economic, social and historical forces at work.

My late husband, a "dyed in the wool" caucasion kiwi at 17 years of age lied about his age for entry into the WWII army then air force; he got to know American troops at various camps. Thereafter he was a pacifist and seldom mentioned that time.

Thanks for this forum :clapping:

2. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Welcome aboard.

Cheers from an Aussie.

Owen

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome Vicki (?). I hope you enjoy it here. That was an excellent introduction. We're a friendly bunch and there's no such thing as a stupid question (although we're good at giving a silly answer!) so ask away.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to the forum nzvicki. It is nice have someone aboard with an interest in one of the most forgotten parts of the war. I read Chang's book many years ago, and admit that it was a real eye-opener. Till then I wasn't aware just how brutal the occupation had been.

You may remember her writing about Rabe ( John Rabe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). If you haven'r already done so, then his diaries are well worth reading:

Amazon.co.uk: The Good German of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe: Books: John Rabe

I suppose one of the problems with really investigating the occupation is that most stuff which has been written has been rather partisan. However, Hastings' Nemesis does cover the Chinese theatre, and has a number of personal accounts from both Chinese Nationalists and Communists. Well worth a read, especially it draws one's attention to the chaos of the conflicting interests involved in fighting the Japanese.

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome NZ Vicki.

Hope you can stay and enjoy yourself!

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Welcome to the forum Vicki. I'm sure you'll teach us as well

7. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard Vicky,
    Enjoy the site.
    Regards
    Hugh

8. nzvicki

nzvicki Guest

Thanks...

....for the warm welcome and references.

Iris Chang wrote that in every war there are the wonderful few who are beacons of light doing extraordinary things for the victimised: John Rabe was another "Schindler". That he had links with the Nazi party would indicate that some Germans truly were unaware of the atrocities committed by the party.

I loved that when the Chinese learned of Rabe's post-war poverty/unemployment in Germany, they repaid him for saving so many lives by raising much money and food to help his family. The courage and dedication of Rabe and the two British doctors give us hope that we can evolve!

I never manage to be succinct; so apologise in advance for future "waffling"!

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome Vicki,

Look forward to many more posts and threads.

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης