Hey

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by laurence strong, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Hello

My name is Laurence Strong, I have been floating around cyber space for a few years. I live in Alberta, served in the CF both reg and mo. I collect medals and militaria and make models to retain my sanity.

Talk to you soon

Larry

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to the forum Larry. Glad youi found us. And I see from your signature that you are involved with an excellent site.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Welcome to the forum Gary. Be wary of sniper, he'll destroy your knees by getting you to take photos of graves. :>

4. Geedee

Geedee Guest

Hi Laurence

This is a friendly bunch you've just signed upto. It's going to be good, welcome aboard

5. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard, Larry I hope you enjoy it here. Excellent website - lest we forget those who didn't make it home.

Regards
    Hugh

6. 51highland

51highland Member

Welcome and enjoy!!!! Great site that you are associated with.

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome, Larry. Watch out for Spidge too, he's as bad a Sniper! LOL.

Hope you enjoy reading and posting here, mate.

8. Thanks to all. forums seem to be addictive....another one LOL.

I live in a small town called Innisfail, about 1/2 hour south of Red Deer, Alberta. Pehhold is just minutes north of here, Springbrook-Waskasoo Life -- History of CFB Penhold

My wife and I are the custodians of the fianl effects of C31079 Trooper Clyne Leo C.

[​IMG]

As I started filling in the blanks - Service record etc - it only seemed appropriate to get a photo of the grave, and we ended up sponsering his grave

9. Thanks to all. forums seem to be addictive....another one LOL.

I live in a small town called Innisfail, about 1/2 hour south of Red Deer, Alberta. Pehhold is just minutes north of here, Springbrook-Waskasoo Life -- History of CFB Penhold

My wife and I are the custodians of the fianl effects of C31079 Trooper Clyne Leo C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I started filling in the blanks - Service record etc - it only seemed appropriate to get a photo of the grave, and we ended up sponsering his grave.

[​IMG]

He died 3 weeks prior to the end, after going thru Italy etc with the 9th Armourd (BCD), in a night attack by youth of the HJ with sticky bombs and panzerfausts.

I know that the Military graves around here have been photo'd by Mapleleaf but would consider helping you all.

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

11. Tis our sister town:) We are cotemplating approaching "Ansestors in the Attic" to see what happened to his families. He had kin here obviously, and he married a Liverpool girl, and I have reason to believe he had a son with her. So how did all his medals and letters etc end up on ebay?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Don't forget me!

I have 24 RAAF burials in Alberta of 146 in Canada total. Any near you Laurence?

CALGARY (BURNSLAND) CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    CLARESHOLM CEMETERY
    EDMONTON (BEECHMOUNT) CEMETERY
    FORT MACLEOD (HOLY CROSS) CEMETERY
    FORT MACLEOD (UNION) CEMETERY
    FORT MACLEOD (UNION) CEMETERY
    LETHBRIDGE (MOUNTAIN VIEW) CEMETERY
    LETHBRIDGE (MOUNTAIN VIEW) CEMETERY
    LETHBRIDGE (ST. PATRICK'S) CEMETERY
    RED DEER CEMETERY
    RED DEER CEMETERY

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

Quite remiss of me to forget to welcome you to the forum.

Deeds like you have done here give you a warm feeling of accomplishment don't they.

Andy chased up the grave of a Canadian Surgeon in Perth Western Australia and I got the other two. One in Queensland and one in the Northern Territory.

If you would like me to email the images, please let me know!

Cheers

Geoff

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Oh yes, be wary of the Ozzie as well. He killed my right knee, and Sniper dealt with the left knee.

As tot he medals and effects I am afraid a lot tend to end up on ebay. Men and women die and their children or grandchildren don't really understand what they are and just sell them on for a few pounds in order to cover funeral expences and whatnot.

15. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum and i'm sure that you will have a really good time here, most of the members are crazy but absolutely brilliant with their knowledge about most things WW2.
    As Kitty rightly pointed out two of us are very much into collecting war grave photos. Spidge for his own database which will eventually be on line and have FREE information on it. I, myself are in partnership with The Veterans Affairs Canada in helping them get photos of all war graves onto their website, and also working together with The Canadian Great War Project and putting all WW1 sevice records online. Again this will give access to the public for FREE.
    I'm also in talks with the Royal British Legion, The New Zealand War Museum and The Australian Goverment to form similar projects for their countries.
    Have a great time in the forum and if you can help with any photos please let me know and i'll send you a list for you area.

Sniper :peep: