Here are the personnel needed to support a Lancaster

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by David Layne, Apr 2, 2008.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Thought this might interest you all.

2. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The unsung heroes of Bomber Command! They did a magnificent job keeping aircraft in the air and in return they were forgotten by the government when it came to dishing out awards and medals!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It is interesting. So that would an individual aircraft's ground and air crew. There's probably another three times as many base personnel providing for all the other needs.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

They were all very important however not very often acknowledged as such.

5. John

John Active Member

Hi David,

I notice there is a woman in the front row holding something that looks like an esky. What would have her job been and what is she holding

John :becky:

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Looks like some sort of hamper.

Tea and sandwiches for the crew?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Or the parachute packer

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Probably a parachute packer in this case, but many women held the position of Met Officer, Information officer and debriefing officer.

9. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Here's what I came up with elsewhere.

THE LANCASTER

Petrol bowser and crew - Mobile workshop and crew

Corporal mechanic, four aircraftmen (mechanics), engineer officer, fitter (armourer), three armourers, radio mechanic, two instrument repairers, three bomb handlers, fitter.

Bomb train with W.A.A.F. driver and bombing up crew.

Flight maintenance crew: N.C.O. fitter, five mechanics, electrical mechanic, instrument repairer, two radio mechanics.

Flying control officer, W.A.A.F. parachute packer, met. officer, pilot, navigator, air bomber, flight engineer, wireless op/air gunner, two air gunners.

The above taken from Lancaster - The Story Of A Famous Bomber, by Bruce Robertson.

10. John

John Active Member

It looks like parachute packer was most popular answer.
    When you look at the list David supplied per Lancaster, no wonder the air force had a lot of personel.

John

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

I don't believe that the would have gone up without a flask of tea!

Who looked after that?

And I am not being funny either.

12. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

That would be the responsibility of the Catering department because aircrew were also given sandwiches for the flight as well.

But I think that she is carrying a parachute.

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

Agree with the parachute.

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I seem to recall seeing an estimate of over 7000 personnel on a station for just one bomber squadron of 21 aircraft. This is from memory so i could be wrong.

15. Andy M

Andy M New Member

That is a cool picture! Thanks for sharing.

In researching about my uncle, I have read that 60 B-17's were lost on one raid. That's 600 men! Now think of the number of men behind those air craft. One hell of an effort it was.

Regards,

Andy

16. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I count 46 people in that picture. Would all these people have been allocated solely to that one aircraft; would some of them have worked with several aircraft or across the whole base?

17. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

I do not know about the Parachute rigger or the armourers, but most aircraft of that time had dedicated ground crews. it was only later on that the RAF moved to the new system where aircraft werre allocated ground crew as and when necessary!

18. The ground support team were known as 'Erks. Is that actually "herks" with the h-dropped, or is it short for another word? If so, what it is short for, and what is the origin of the word? In all my reading, I have never seen that term explained...

19. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

This may give you some ideas !! :)

erks

20. Gage

Gage New Member

Great picture.