Help finding book

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by David Layne, Oct 26, 2007.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

I am desperate to find a copy of the following book. I have searched Google, ABE books and other book vendors to no avail. Anyone any suggestions as to where I might be able to purchase a copy?

ISBN 0863037097 / 9780863037092 / 0-86303-709-7
    Title Wingless Journey
    Author L.R. Sidwell
    Publisher Merlin Books Ltd
    Language English
    Edition Softcover

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi David,

Try Blackwell Book Shops. If you put Blackwell book shop into google it should come up as 2nd or 3rd on the list. Try contacting them as they are really good and can get hold of most books, even out of print.

Good luck
    Mike (Sniper) :peep:

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Have sent you a PM David

4. David Layne

Thanks fellows. I just don't understand this Google thing, how come it didn't show up when I Googled it?

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Could be US Google doesn't pick up the European shops until very low down

6. David Layne

I never did find it on U.K. Google. However the book is ordered and on its way, thanks for your help.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's good. I was worried that it would be out of stock considering the problems you were having.

8. David Layne

Sorry to report that this book never did turn up. Tried Blackstone, Abe, Alibris, and Bookfinder, also have an e bay watch going but nothing so far. Any further suggestions?

9. David Layne

O.K. y'all can stop looking. I found a copy and it now sits at my sister's house waiting for my next trip to the U.K.

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Sorry, DL, never saw this thread before but sorry the first book never turned up. Charming.

Why are you keen to get hold of it?

11. David Layne

Why are you keen to get hold of it?

From what I understand it covers the evacuation of Stalag Luft III and the "adventures" of the prisoners from this camp until their liberation near Lubeck in May 1945.

As my father was one of these prisoners and I know little about their experiances at this time I am hopeful this book will clarify the situation for me some what.

12. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Ah, excellent stuff, hope it clarifies a few things for you. Was just listening to the story of a former Whitley crewmember who had to go on a forced march as the Russians approached. They were finally liberated when a Russian tank crashed through one side of their camp and crashed out the other side. Didn't stop and the Russians weren't too interested in the POWs. Probably pushing hard for Berlin!