hello ww2 fanatics!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sweetpea33, May 25, 2008.

1. sweetpea33

sweetpea33 Guest

sweetpea was the nickname of uss portland a heavy cruiser that my dad served on from '43 to'46,hence my interest in ww2 especially pacific naval actions:books,photos,artwork,film,letters,anything having to do with sweetpea.i've found out quite alot of info on the internet,that a book on the portland was written,so i bought it and read it cover to cover in no time;in it it tells of another book called "the history and times of uss portland"by heber holbrook,i cant seem to locate a copy of it if anyone knows how to find it i would be truly greatful.oh the book i did find is called "sweet pea at war a history of uss portland"i recommend it to all that are interested in naval history or ww2 in general.if anyone can recommend a web site for ww2 pacific photos,books,anything,i would sure appreciate it or specificly sweetpea even better.she was quite a ship i must say with a stellar record to back it up.my dad told me of the battles he was in and then i read about those same battles in a book or online ,it gives me goosebumps!!he was a loader on one of the aft mounted 40mm AA guns.he's been gone for 13 years now but the stories are still fresh in my head;anyway,i'm glad to be onboard with all of you people with similar interests.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see a passion for a subject, and you seem to be well versed in it.

As for the book, have you tried contacting Heber directly? He maybe able to help in locating a copy. His details are available on this site:

United States Navy Memorial

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard.
    Regards
    Hugh

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

welcome sweetpea

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Welcome to the funny farm, sweetpea!

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hi there sweetpea and welcome to the forum :)

8. foxhole 2

foxhole 2 Guest

hi there and welcome onboard the freindly forum,,,,,,,,,,:becky:

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Sweetpea,

Welcome to the forum.

The memory of USS Portland accepting the surrender of the Japanese forces on Truk must have been something for your dad to remember.

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome Sweetpea. Glad to have you here.

11. sweetpea33

sweetpea33 Guest

something indeed,one thing i remember my dad telling me about the day of surrender ceremonies was that the japanese delegation had "no weapons ,not even a knife or a sword";then after he died we found a letter to my grandma that he had sent which told the whole story.they were expecting a sky full of komikasis to show up!!!

12. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Welcome sweetpea!

13. John

John Active Member

Welcome to the forum sweetpea and hope you have hours of enjoyment here

:plane: