Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mfield, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mfield

mfield New Member

Hello all I am from Texas, the son of a U.S. Army 30 year veteran, a great nephew of two WWII veterans. My great uncle Herbert was in the Canadian army during WWII, he was assigned to the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, ( Major Herbert Owen Lambert MC) he was killed during the Battle for Kapelsche Veer. My other Great uncle was in the U.S. Army during WWII. I am currently researching Herbert in an attempt to dispell many family rumors regarding Herbert.

2. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Hi you there .Most welcome in this forum.

3. Chris Dickon

Chris Dickon New Member

Hello mfield

I'm writing a book to be published next year about the 50,000 plus Americans who served in Canadian forces in the two world wars, and I would like to include your great uncle as a representative example, taking him along his full biography. Can I ask you to get in touch with me at foreignburial@gmail.com? Thank you.

Chris Dickon

4. untitled

untitled New Member

What will it be called? (so i know what to look for)

5. Chris Dickon

Chris Dickon New Member

6. leesa

leesa New Member

What are the rumors? He is extensively discussed in a book by Jan A.F.M. Luijten, Canada en Noord-Brabant, Een band voor altijd (Aspekt, 2002). I only have the Dutch version of this book, but it was apparently published in English as well (? or at least there were always plans for an English version).
    This book is written by a Dutch man who was twelve at the end of the war and since his father taught English, he had contact with some of the Canadian forces. I haven't read the whole book yet but so far he is discussed with great admiration for his fighting in Bergen op Zoom (pronounced z-oh-m, not zoo-m, which is where I live and where Luijten grew up). He died a few months later fighting in Zeeland and is buried in Bergen op Zoom.
    His war record (including medical information, enrollment, etc.) is conveniently found online! A photo of his tombstone as well...