Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by baxta, Jul 8, 2008.

1. baxta

baxta New Member

Hi to all.

Apart from a military career (navy - 24 years) I have a considerable interest in WW2. Like many, my parents (Dutch) were caught up in all those terrible events.

Further, while working in UK in the 1980s, I managed to purchase a MG sports car from an old english gentleman (with a handle bar moustache) with whom I became good friends. His life stories with respect to owning sports cars (Type 35 Bugatti, Le Mans XK 120 etc) had me spell bound!

I subseuqnetly found out he was a veteran of 213 squadron (RAF - Hurricanes) and a BoB pilot! I had the pleasure of meeting him again this year (in UK) - he is now 96 and on to his third wife!

I am looking foward to finding our more about him and those times!

I look foward to also contributing!

2. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Hi Baxta, welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your time here and I look forward to reading your posts!

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Baxta,

Welcome to the forum.

Would the gentleman be S/Ldr Michael Crossley?

There are also a few sailors on the forum to keep you company.

Cheers

Geoff

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Watcha Baxta. Good to meet you.

5. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Baxta,

Welcome aboard!

Cheers

Owen

6. 51highland

51highland Member

Welcome and enjoy !!!!

7. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Hi Baxta,

Welcome and look forward to hearing more from you.

Steve

8. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard, Baxta.

Was your sea time with the RN or RAN - I note the flag?

Glad to have another Navy man aboard. The folks on here are very knowledgeable about all of the armed services and the civillian services. What I enjoy about being here is that the members have an appreciation of all those who served during WWII.

Have a look around and feel free to join in at anytime.

Regards
    Hugh

9. baxta

baxta New Member

Thank you Hugh,

My time was with the RAN - however I did spend time (on exchange ) with the RN at the now defunct Royal Naval Engineering College (Manadon) down in Plymouth.

What has happened to that site (the college has been replaced with a housing estate) is another story.

Another story yet again, is the memorial for the College at the site - I came away very bitter and angry after my recent visit. It would appear that the RN/community appreciation for engineering is very low indeed! Tragic.

Regardless of those issues, I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

baxta

10. baxta

baxta New Member

Thank you Geoff,

Given the public nature of this forum and the fact that he is still well and truly alive and kicking, I would prefer not to name him. He is by nature a rather private person and can find all the "hooplaa" about his past a little tiresome.

Yes I know there are not too many still alive - so a small amount of research would be able to find who it is - but I am sure you will understand.

Regards,

baxta

11. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hi there baxta and welcome to the forum :)

12. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome to the forum, Baxta. I hope you enjoy it here. Sorry I missed your initial post, I have had to divert my attention elsewhere besides living on here! LOL.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and some of your experiences in the RAN (we all like a good story!). You would have served during an interesting transition period, I imagine.

Rest assured we understand and respect your request for privacy.