Heavy Machine Guns of the Great War

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by GearZ, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

I came across this video the other day whilst researching another topic. It is an interesting overview of the heavy machine guns of World War I. As most know, that class of weapon was a huge part of what made the war what it was.

There is also a video about the Austro-Hungarian Schwarzlose.

As a bonus, the 1918 Mauser Tank Gewehr (tank gun) is covered in the video below. This was basically a Mauser 98 scaled up to a massive 13.2mm cartridge and utilized against early tanks.

Anywho, I found the material interesting, so I figured I'd pass it along. Cheers.

2. Nice videos, thanks for sharing. I will also be checking out "The Great War" series mentioned in these videos as well. Sounds like some good videos.

3. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Great videos .. no doubt .. but the gentleman should start with his Maxim! I just cant imagine the influence of it in the Great War, since It Have Been Regarded as the forefather of All mgs reasonably!
    One shouldn't forget that this innovation later on gave birth to a very new unit called ' Machine Gun Corps '.

4. Ya no doubt, I didnt even think of that, lol.

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

And why not! 1000 rounds/hr, 250 cartridges cloth ammobelt, tripod, shield (optional), cooling jacket alongwith its range of 4000m all available by circa '15 - '16.
    A nice book ~ '' The Davils Paintbrush '' by D Goldsmith (ISBN 0889352828)