Headstones/Memorials of Aussies in the AFC/RFC/RNAS/RAF WW1

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by spidge, May 19, 2008.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have decided to collect all Great War Flying Corps deaths to compliment my RAAF list.

Inclusive of Aussies in British Corps, I am looking for 312 photos. The "Pals" on GWF have been most helpful.

I will put together a list of what is still outstanding an hope someone may have some or be able to assist.

One chap has just put his hand up to photograph the Arras Flying Services Memorial at Pas-de-Calais which is great.

Many have gone out specially on Saturdays to photograph most of their County.

The assistance is quite remarkable as it has been with those assisting with my WW2 project.

Cheers

Geoff

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Very interesting indeed.

I did not know that Sir Arthur Coningham was Australian. Born in Australia and raised in New Zealand.

Nor that his middle name was "Mary".

5. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

Thought you might go down this line, can you send me a list of outstanding ones as i may have them. I'm just about to email you one from Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa, Canada. Just found it amongst some i was naming.

These are his details

Name: LORD, DOUGLAS MERVYN
    Initials: D M
    Nationality: Australian
    Regiment/Service: Royal Australian Air Force
    Date of Death: 06/05/1941
    Service No: 400721
    Additional information: Son of George Walter and Eliza Ellen Lord, of Essendon, Victoria, Australia.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 29. Lot 1. Grave 105.
    Cemetery: OTTAWA (BEECHWOOD) CEMETERY

I'll be emailing it straight away for you.

Sniper :)peep:)

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Sniper,

I assume you mean outstanding WW1!

Please let me know.

Thanks for the Canadian photo!

I have 32 on the Ottawa Memorial and one other at Beechwood (Long)

Cheers

Geoff

7. sniper

sniper Active Member

Do you have the list for the Ottawa memorial. I'll get them sorted tonight and i'll email the photos to you.

Sniper :peep:

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thank you for the memorial photos from Ottawa. I have received all except the 1941 plaque.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Geoff

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

I think that the 1941 plaques are on my other camera which i don't have right now. I'll get it back from the person i loaned it out to and check it. Not sure if i have the one from Beechwood but i will check. They maybe on my other computer as i took them in 2006.

Sniper :peep:

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Remaining photos required in the UK AFC/RFC/RNAS/RAF

Remaining photos required in the UK AFC/RFC/RNAS/RAF.

After quite a while and fantastic assistance from people all over the UK, I have this list remaining which includes those found and added in later research.

From 134 initially just 21 remain listd alphabetically by county.

If you can assist with photos I would be most appreciative.

WIGRAM, ARTHUR DUNBAR 30/04/1919 RAF Spec. Plot. 7. WOKINGHAM (ST. SEBASTIAN) CHURCHYARD UK Berkshire

FREEMAN, ALFRED LIVINGSTONE 6/11/1918 AFC X. 64. AYLESBURY CEMETERY UK Buckinghamshire

KING, G C D 31/10/1918 AFC X. 53. AYLESBURY CEMETERY UK Buckinghamshire NELSON, HARRY 22/10/1918 AFC II. 52. AYLESBURY CEMETERY UK Buckinghamshire

WAKELY, ARGENT WILLIAM CLISSOLD 29/06/1917 AFC POUGHILL (ST. OLAF) CHURCHYARD UK Cornwall

TALBOT , ARTHUR SYDNEY 27/09/1917 RFC ROCHFORD (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD UK Essex

TURNER , R G 4/05/1917 RFC North of Church. BENTLEY (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD, Hampshire UK Hampshire

MACDONALD, LACHLAN JOHN 19/01/1918 RFC STOCKBRIDGE CEMETERY UK Hampshire

RAWLINSON, PERCY IVAN 30/11/1918 Royal Air Force SCAWBY (ST. HIBALD) CHURCHYARD UK Lincolnshire

DUNSTAN, JOHN LEONARD 28/10/1918 RAF 124. 41160. HIGHGATE CEMETERY UK London

HARDY , GUY BURTON 17/04/1916 RNAS 134. 6. 45124. KENSAL GREEN (ALL SOULS') CEMETERY UK London

WHELAN, CYRIL 25/04/1918 RAF 1. 1952. KENSAL GREEN (ST. MARY'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY UK London

GRANT, E D 4/04/1918 AFC D.Z. 34/35. WANDSWORTH (PUTNEY VALE) CEMETERY AND CREMATORIUM UK London

JAMES, BERT 7/05/1918 RAF North of church. BEESTON REGIS (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD UK Norfolk

WALD, ALEXANDER 11/08/1918 RAF N. U. 261. NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE (ST. ANDREW'S AND JESMOND) CEMETERY UK Northumberland

MUNRO , J D S 17/07/1917 RFC CC. 7. NORTH SHEEN CEMETERY UK Surrey

RYDER, CLIFFORD NEWTON 10/04/1917 AFC CASTLE BROMWICH (SS. MARY AND MARGARET) CHURCHYARD UK Warwickshire

NICOL, HECTOR 16/10/1918 AFC 136 STRATFORD-SUB-CASTLE (ST. LAWRENCE) CHURCHYARD UK Wiltshire

SUTHERLAND, ALAN D'ARCY 28/02/1917 RFC 10 UPAVON CEMETERY UK Wiltshire

HUNT , ALFRED STANLEY 20/08/1917 RFC 4 YATESBURY (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD UK Wiltshire

BROWNING, OAKLEY ALSOP 11/08/1917 RFC NN. 4. CATTERICK CEMETERY UK Yorkshire

11. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I came across this photo ... thought you might like it ... if you haven't already got it ! :)

Australian Flying Corps pilot, Captain R. Wiliams who went on to become the first Chief of Air Force and later Sir Richard.

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thank you Annie.