Havildar Bhanbhagta Gurung, VC RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Havildar Bhanbhagta Gurung, VC obituary - Times Online

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

An incredibly brave and honourable man; a friend of Britain of whom we are not worthy.

In the Telegraph, the obituary of Paul Raymond appeared in the same edition and I was struck by the contrast. One man who was prepared to give his life for his comrades and then was prepared to give up his career and the chance to revel in his fame for the sake of his family. And another man who avoided serving his own country in wartime, and lived a hedonistic, shallow and ultimately lonely life.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I'll google Paul Raymond rather than asking for an explanation of him here as it will muddy an excellent thread.

Gurkha troops never cease to amaze me. Almost sounds as though Gurung deserved a bar to his VC given his service up to the time he was awarded the medal. RIP.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

VC Citation

Gazette Issue 37107 published on the 1 June 1945

6. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I am glad they were/are on our side. Totally fearless soldiers and very loyal despite the fact they have been dishonourably treated by successive British governments.

Rest in peace, sir.

Regards
    Hugh

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I hope to meet some one day, in a pleasant situation of course, as they have always struck me as friendly types. Would be great to chat and find out what makes them tick. One of the many amazing traditions of the Armed Forces. Given Gordon Brown's leanings in this area, given his book/s, I would have thought he'd sort this out. Perhaps he only has leanings in areas that are popular?

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Agree.

They are first on the list when things get nasty yet last on the list when all is peaceful.

That is gratitude for you.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hopefully, the public's attention will refocussed on their plight with all the recent articles about Prince Harry, and his assignment with them in Afghanistan.

10. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

'' If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha. ''
    Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw