Have you heard of secession rumors?

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Frederick, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Frederick

Frederick New Member

I've heard that some states are actually considering the possibility of secession due to what they believe is the overwhelming interference of the federal government with the individual state governments. Is there any truth to the rumors and is it a possibility, do you think?

2. blindwarrior

blindwarrior Member

There was a petition going around and something like 5000 people signed it. It's more of a gesture than anything really. Some people would prefer that democracy only be used, when it's beneficial to them.

3. Justyn Mendoza

Justyn Mendoza New Member

I haven't heard much on this topic but I assume each state would get it's own laws. Chaos would soon ensue I think. Or maybe nothing at all. I honestly don't think this would ever happen no matter how many sign a little petition due to the laws that govern us.

4. blindwarrior

blindwarrior Member

The United States, has been just that united for more than 200 years. Even if a small majority of people wish for this, it will never happen, simply because our government is so interconnected that the term state is only a nostalgic reminder of days gone past.

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

There are some constitutionally challenged people in some states yammering on about secession . . . that does not equate to any one or more of the actual states making up the United States actually pondering the question.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Siberian Tiger

The so called online petitions are just plain BS. The most significant of them (petition for the secession of Texas) has less than 150,000 signatures, which is less than 1% of the population of that state.

7. Smackz

Smackz New Member

Vlad has a point. A petition as small as the ones for secession at the moment are laughable. I'm 99% sure that these petitions for secession will be completely forgotten about soon. In my opinion, a secession is completely uncalled for and unorthodox in this context.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Siberian Tiger

Secession is a viable option, only if the elected state representatives feel that their region is deliberately neglected and discriminated against by the federal authorities on a constant basis (examples: East Timor, West Papua). However, even in such instances, the initiative should be taken by the elected state representatives, rather than some silly website users.

9. tripletaker

tripletaker New Member

Rumors like this will always spread, but I believe it will die out. Everyone knows about the Civil War and I doubt anyone would want to repeat that part of history. I'm sure people have learned from it and I don't really see how the federal government has interfered with the state ones so far. Could you provide some examples?