Guns, Germs, and Steel

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Jameson, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Jameson

Jameson History Repeats Itself

I'm curious to see the reactions to book Guns, Germs, and Steel on this forum. I feel that Diamond did a fantastic job presenting a survey of the concept of "War" as we know it today. There is little political grandstanding, which I appreciate. When it comes to writing a piece that has lasted a solid thirteen years and still remains relevant, I find that very interesting.

So, what are your thoughts on the book? Does anyone have any topics they feel he didn't adequately cover or even give acknowledgements to?

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Active Member

I found it a mildly interesting take. One daughter, a gov't/hispanic studies double major, had it as a text book for one of her courses - I think it had something to do with conquistadores and such - and liked it, so when she was finished, I took it up. The other daughter, who at the time had just earned her anthropology bachelors and was about to start in on her masters, advised that it was considered somewhat superficial by some of her profs. 'Course this was a couple of years ago, so who knows what folks in the field are saying now. Me? I'm a history major w/a MBA . . . what do I know?