Greetings from Vancouver, B.C., in Canada..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by roger leon, Jul 29, 2015.

1. roger leon

roger leon New Member

Hello!

I'm certainly looking forward to reading through this site and participating. I'm mostly here because my grandfather, a veteran of the Belgian Air Force during the Second World War, was a very serious student of military history. His name was Leon Terlinden, and he was a tailgunner, later made a baron for his service. He had hair-raising stories to tell: only after his death, a few years ago, did I come across an online French-language edition of his recollections. I had no idea. When it came to the post-war generations, I'm afraid he was rather taciturn - no, reticent is a better word - on the subject.

At any rate - it is late here, and I must shut this down. I'll be back to contribute! My own current armchair line of historical interest is the famous battle of the Catalaunian Plains (AD 451): I am currently reading J.B. Bury's take on the event, and to my surprise he appears to consider the whole thing somewhat of a non-event in terms of its historical importance. But I digress - to be continued..!

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

Hello and welcome.

I am very interested in learning more of your grandfather's story, should you have it. I know, or have met, veterans who will tell their story, and others who's memories are only the source of nightmares and thus are to be avoided.

I am also interested to learn you are at least interested in something other than twentith century military history. I know less than I want to know about Roman History; perhaps you can teach me.

Back to your Grandfather, the Belgique AF was short-lived once Germany attacked. Was your GF a POW or did he flee to England?