Greeting from a Far East Fanatic

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kohima, May 28, 2008.

1. Kohima

Kohima Guest

Hi there,

I am a bit of a Far East fanatic with interests in the Burma campaign, Far East POW's, Casualties and the seige of Kohima - The defining battle against Japanese expansion. I also have an interest in Photograghing War Graves in the Far East & have so far ticked of kuala Lumpur & Jakarta with a visit to Burma planned for later in the Year, so if anyone needs grave photos from these areas please let me know.

My avtar is this Military Cross won by Mjr Albert Calistan who along with his company from the Assam Regiment defended the Tennis Court at Kohima, repelling 25 Banzai charges, grenade fghts at point blank range & then lead an attack against the enemy capturing their position inside the compound.

My signature speaks for itself

glad to be here, to learn & impart

Regards

simon

2. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Hi Kohima, nice to have you on board, looking forward to seeing your posts on the subjects.

3. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Owen

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hi there Kohima and welcome to WW2 Chat :)

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome Kohima. My interest is the air war over Burma and eastern India. Look forward to some good discussions..

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

A warm welcome to the forum Simon.

You should enjoy it here with some like minded members.

I collect grave/memorial photographs of all Australians who were killed whilst in the RAAF/AFC/RNAS/RFC/RAF from both wars. (11,300+).

I only commenced this project in July last year so I have a long way to go.

There is a big gap in my collection for the Far East and do not have anything for Labuan or Ambon so I would be interested in any photos you are willing to pass on. As for Burma, there are RAAF lads in Rangoon, Taukkyan and Thanbyuzayat cemeteries that I would be glad to add to my collection.

Cheers

Geoff

7. Kohima

Kohima Guest

Hi guys & thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Spidge, there are a large number of RAF & RAFVR graves in Jakarta (I have them all) let me know if you need any.

this is 1 of my favorites, I placed his medals on the grave when I visited for the Rememberence day service last year

regards

Attached Files:

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Kohima,

Great photo. Is there a personal relationship with this burial?

I have 6 at 2 Jakarta Cemeteries. (Listed below)

Did you get to Ambon as it is listed as a dangerous area to visit?

I have 335 listed on both with 180 at Ambon Cemetery and 155 on the memorial.

BROWN, JAMES SYDNEY
    Sergeant
    42sq
    6/02/1945
    Royal Australian Air Force
    Australian
    III. 17-18.
    JAKARTA (ANCOL) NETHERLANDS FIELD OF HONOUR

RYAN, DAVID PATRICK
    Sergeant
    42sq
    6/02/1945
    Australian
    II. 113-114.

VETTER, JOHN IRWIN
    Flight Sergeant
    42sq
    6/02/1945
    Australian
    II. 106-107.

CHISHOLM, WALLACE
    Flying Officer
    100sq RAF
    1/03/1942
    Australian
    5. F. 12.
    JAKARTA WAR CEMETERY

FORBY, JACK
    Aircraftman 1st Class
    1sq
    PALEMBANG
    1/03/1942
    Australian
    3. M. 7.
    JAKARTA WAR CEMETERY

PROCTOR, ALAN JAMES
    Flight Lieutenant
    452sq
    2/07/1945
    Australian
    5. F. 14.
    JAKARTA WAR CEMETERY

9. John

John Active Member

Welcome to the forum Kohima. I am sure you will enjoy many hours on this site.

10. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard, Simon. You will enjoy the site, I am sure.
    Regards
    Hugh

11. CXX

CXX New Member

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum.

12. Kohima

Kohima Guest

Thanks John & Hugh, I am sure I will enjoy, the problem is finding the extra time lol

Spidge, no personel relationship with Punchers grave, his medals form part of my collection as I collect to casualties (predominently) of the Far East & Pacific. At present, collecting by cemetary until I have a group representative of all CWGC in the theatre. I have most of the tough ones (low numbers buried) but the easy ones are not around at present.

Regards

simon

13. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

G'day Kohima, welcome aboard. LIke Kyt, I have more than a passing interest in the Burma and Singapore air war but haven't been active in that area for a while. Some of my reading is leading to that arena so it'll be good to know where I can find some experts!

14. mikky

mikky Guest

kohima

.Hi Simon.
    I am new too,and share your interest in India/Burma campaign.If you're ever in Kohima,would be good if you could post any pics.Never really able to gain a good picture of the battlefield.Have never seen a good picture of the tennis court area,other than the usual ones.
    Kohima must have been one of the toughest of the war,have read 'not ordinary men' title says it all.
    Mikky

15. Kohima

Kohima Guest

Hi Mikky,

I hope to over in kohima next April for the 65th anniversary of the battel, there are big plans afoot to commemorate it so I am told.

In relation to any photos of the Tennis court, i am led to believe that the site of the CWGC is on the Tennis court, so apart from the topography you are looking at the cemetary.

Hopefully, I will get to Dimapur, Imphal Kirkee & the Chittagong among other places as well & will keep you posted.

My avtar is the MC won By albert calistan at the Tennis Court. You will find a number of references to him in John Colvins book.

I can tell you that another book will be cxomming out in the not too distant future on the battle. I have been in touch with the author & knowing his reputation, it should be a cracker.

REgards

simon

16. mikky

mikky Guest

Can't wait to read his new book.That's some medal to have well done.Amazing men.Yes the cross is in one corner of the tennis court.It's more the lie of the land i am unsure of.I saw one photo somewhere that really showed how steep the land really is.
    Have not seen many photos of the battleground,as it was just after it finished.It would also be very interesting to see photo's of the bungalow and tennis courts before the war.
    Regards Mikky