Grandpa was a "Black Devil"

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by littlemrs, Nov 14, 2013.

1. littlemrs

littlemrs New Member

Hi all! I am wondering if someone here would be able to point me in the right direction for more information about Black Devil recruiting practices in Europe. My grandfather, not given to exaggerations and rarely spoke about is WW2 experiences, always said he was a "Black Devil", mentioneing black berets. Reading some books on the FSSF, he is not listed as a recruit who would have trained in Helena. We have his service records but again, no mention. Was there another platoon/group called the "black Devils" or wore black berets? Would his service records mention if he volunteered/was recruited to join the "Black Devils" as a replacement? Any info would help as there are numerous family members looking to resolve the difference between his own story and his service record. Many thanks.

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

Please enlighten me, who or what are the black devils?

3. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

And when-where did they operate?

4. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Well, requesting you all to see the Project Plough which was an operation conducted by the US-Canadian 1st Service Force (an elite commando force) under Com Robert T Frederick .
    What I know, the project (Black Devils) was the brain child of Geoffrey Pyke, the Combind Operations Command (UK), who somehow convinced Churchill, Mountbatten and lately Eisenhower for a special commando operation against the Axis aggression in Europe. Black berets belonged to the armoured brigade.
    I heard that this elite force disbanded by the end of Dec'44.

littlemrs likes this.
  5. littlemrs

littlemrs New Member

Yep, that's the one...sorry, "Black Devils" is a slang name for the First Special Service Force, a collaborative Canadian-States unit. Does anyone know how replacements were sought? I think alot of the American ones came from Ranger units but I'm not sure where, if any Canadian replacements came from. If he had moved from the amoury brigade to the "FSSF" as a replacement, wouldn't that show on his service record? How about injuries? I know he was injured sometime before D-Day...were injuries recorded, time, place? Thanks for you help

6. Alexander

Alexander Member