Grandfather in Stalag VIIA

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War' started by Roxy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Roxy

Roxy Member

Hi folks,

My grandfather was interred in Stalag VIIA (POW Number 18637) during the Second World War. I am currently searching the 79th News (the magazine of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) to try to find some details regarding his service. The 'Big Book of British POW's' (can't recall the actual name!) has him as being in the RSF!

The family think that he was captured when serving in Italy.

I have sent a request for information regarding grandad to ICRC and have checked out Moosburg online. Furthermore, I intend to check out the RHF Museum (the descendents of the RSF) to see if there is any mention of him there.

If anyone on the forum has any details or can point me in another direction, I would be delighted.

Thanks in anticipation,

Roxy

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

In your intro you said:

Though his service number falls within the Cameron Highlanders batch (2921001 - 2966000), that wouldn't preclude him being transferred. Have you applied for his service records? That would say when, where and with what unit he was taken POW

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Roxy

Roxy Member

Kyt,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have not yet written for his Service records - top of the 'to do' pile. I have seen, in the 79th News, when he arrived as a new recruit to the QOCH and intend to do a bit more work at Fort George.

Incidentally, I live just down the road from Dallachy - good piccie!

Roxy

5. Roxy

Roxy Member

Kyt,

I had a quick look at your RSF link - the beauty with a Word document (or even a pdf) is the ability to search (Ctrl+F); works wonders! No sign of any Roxburgh, though.

Roxy

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

If he was RSF, and if he was captured in Italy then it sounds like he was probably in the 2nd Battalion, part of 17th Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Division.

7. 51highland

51highland Member

He would not have been transferred, unless he requested it, or as punishment. The Camerons (only British regiment to have this) Constitution states that "they shall not be draughted into any other Regiment".

8. Roxy

Roxy Member

Thanks,

He was always proud to be a Cameron! And, of course, the Germans may have been wrong. I was thinking that he may have been attached to, rather than serving with, the RSF.

I'll keep you posted.

Roxy

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've just received a message from a friend who was browsing the forum who states that he has the official list of P.O.W. who were in Italy as of August 1943 and there is no Roxburgh matching your details.

That's not to say that he wasn't captured afterwards, but it's a start of dates.

10. 51highland

51highland Member

If he was a Cameron and captured in Italy he would have been serving with the reconstituted 2nd Camerons. If he was captured in North Africa before August 1942 he would have been a original 2nd Cameron and probably interred in Italy first, before going to Germany. If captured in Sicily he would have been 5th Cameron.

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

51H, were the 5th Camerons the para battalion or was that the 7th? I know the paras were involved in Italy, but not sure how the redesignation worked.

12. 51highland

51highland Member

7th battalion was converted to a parachute battalion in August 1942 and redesignated 5th (Scottish) Parachute battalion. they saw action in N Africa, Italy, South of France and Greece. As a clarification to my last, 4th Camerons (Captured at St Valery) were redesignated as the new 2nd Camerons on 2nd December 1942, the original 2nd Camerons being captured at Tobruk, June 1942.

13. Roxy

Roxy Member

Mates,

Thanks very much. POW after Aug 1943 is a start (although he was imprisoned in Germany). I suspected that he might have been 2 Camerons - just need to find official confirmation (or otherwise, of course). However, my family have a history of telling 'porkies' to their offspring - he may never have been in Italy!!

Roxy

Incidentally, the response to my query so far has been outstanding. Thanks folks!

14. 51highland

51highland Member

79th news

The 79th News that Roxy was referring to. Front and the Covenant / constitution on the back. It was printed 6 monthly during the war years, by Northern Counties Newspaper and printing co. ltd. Margaret Street, Inverness.

Attached Files:

15. Roxy

Roxy Member

I've been back to Fort George recently and discovered that he left the HQ Coy 2nd Camerons as L Cpl in 1934 - transferred to the Army Reserve. He then rejoined in April 1939 (L Cpl (Unpaid)) posted to 1 Camerons. I could find nothing in 79th News during the war; although it does list all members of the regiment killed in action, died of wounds, wounded, taken POW and those who died as POW - nothing. I will look agian (wood v trees!)

I'll keep you all updated.

Roxy

16. Roxy

Roxy Member

Roxy's latest update.

I have just heard back from ICRC. It seems that my grandad was captured at Anzio on 29 May 1944. ICRC received confirmation from the Germans that he was present at ReserveLazarett Rottenmunster on 20 Jun 1944 (a military hospital - I can't find many detail on the web). The ICRC also confrim that he was transferred to Stalag VIIA at Moosburg from Stalag VB at Villingen, near Ludswigburg on 1 Aug 1944.

Can anyone point to where I can find out what QOCH (or RSF) were doing at Anzio in May/Jun 1944?

Roxy

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Roxy,

in post #3 I posted a link to the history of the Scots. Details on Anzio start on page 134 (in the word document).

18. Roxy

Roxy Member

Kyt,

Thanks. (Oops!) I'll re-read your post. 29 May 44, with the number of RSF killed, wounded and missing, certainly tallies with the date of my grandad's capture. I still can't fathom why he would have gone from a L Cpl in the Camerons to a Pte in the RSF. If/when I find out, I'll let you all know.

Roxy

19. Roxy

Roxy Member

I have just bought 'Anzio' by Lloyd Clark (£6 in Tesco). If Lloyd is correct (and I have no reason to doubt that he is) then my grandad was not it the Camerons when captured at Anzio - they were not in the orbat. It seems that he may have been in 2 RSF (17 Bde, 5 Div under the command of Maj Gen P G S Gregson-Ellis) after all.

Roxy

20. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Roxy

one of checking is through this book PRISONERS OF WAR 1939-45. VOLUME ONE Obvioudly the book is too expensive for just one query but it maybe available via the library. It should contain his unit.

BTW, I don't think we ever asked his name. Sometimes The Times published POW lists (just saying that they are now POWs) and I maybe able to check