Germany Introduces the Leather Gas Mask (Popular Mechanics, 1917)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by liverpool annie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

During June of 1917, the German Army introduced the "Lederschutzmasken", a leather gas mask made of specially treated Bavarian sheepskin with removable lenses. Designed to replace the rubberized cloth gas masks, the 1917 respirators proved to be far more effective against phosgene gas than the 1915 masks. The Allied powers dismissed the new design as evidence that material shortages on the German home front were forcing changes.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/pdf/German_Gas_Mask_Article.pdf

2. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

It also had a very innotave "double skin" anti-misting construction for the eyepieces (to counteract the problem of not being able to wipe the inside of the eyepieces in wear as could be done on the "purposefully baggy" Gummimasken)...

Attached Files:

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

They must have been a beggar to wear mustn't they ??

Do you collect gas masks then ?

Annie :)

Edit ... Ignore me ! ... you said that on your other post !!

4. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

better than not wearing one though!:D

Actually...no I don't! (especially not considering the prices they go for these days!). I used to have an unnatural obsession with chemical warfare and picked up quite a few masks when I was a kid - when you could get them for next to nothing. Apart from the odd one, i don't think i've bought one for about 20 years.

5. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

Amazing what they look like after 90 years in the ground too!...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      176.1 KB
      Views: