Georges André : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

André, Georges Yvan (‘Le Bison’) France

Internationals: 7 : 1913 SA – (1c) E- W- (1t) I- ; 1914 I- (1t) W- E- (1t)

Georges André was born on 13 August 1889, in Paris.

Played as a Wing for: Racing Club de France

Profession: Physical Education teacher

War service: After service in the 103ème Regiment d’Infanterie from 12 October 1910, he was mobilised on 2 August 1914 and promoted to Caporal on 1 September, then to Sergent on 2 September. On 13 November 1917 he transferred to the Aviation Militaire.

Remarks: “André played seven successive matches until the outbreak of the War, but gained additional fame as an athlete, representing France at the Olympics between 1908 and 1924. As a wing he ran with an unusual action, a legacy of his expertise as a hurdler, and was difficult opponent to halt.”

He was killed in action on 4 May 1943 in Tunisia.

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Géo André made his first appearance at the Olympics as an 18-year-old high jumper in 1908. Although his pre-Olympic best was 1.79m, in London he cleared 1.88m and earned a surprise silver medal. At the 1912 Olympics, André took part in the decathlon, the pentathlon, the high jump, the standing high jump and standing long jump and the 110m hurdles.

He served as a soldier during World War I and was badly injured and taken prisoner. After escaping at his sixth try, he rejoined the fight as an aviator.

At the 1920 Olympics he placed fourth in the 400m hurdles and then, a week later, he won a bronze medal in the 4x400m relay. He also ran in the 400m. In 1924 the Olympics were held in André's hometown of Paris. By now he was 34 years old and André, now participating in his fourth Olympics, was chosen to take the Athletes' Oath on behalf of all the athletes. He competed again in the 400m hurdles and again he qualified for the final and placed fourth. Even after his retirement from sport, André continued to be a late achiever.

Anxious to do his part in World War II, but too old to be a fighter pilot, André joined the infantry and was killed near Tunis on 4 May 1943. He was 53 years old.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/profiles/bio_uk.asp?PAR_I_ID=57975

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks for the extra information. I've tried to find out something of André's aviation time, but so far without success.

Gareth

4. liverpool annie

9, rue Marguerin, 14th, Paris (75014), Ile de France, France

Attached Files:

5. liverpool annie

I meant to say that the plaque honoring his memory, is at 9 rue Marguerin in Paris where he once lived !

and also I found out ..... that he joined the squadron Storks in WW1 !! which I think is French Escadrille des Cigognes (Stork Squadron) isn't it ?

It was while he was with that squadron that he was awarded the military medal apparently !

A bullet had passed through his ankle - and he had a long rehabilitation after 1918 !

During the second world war - bent on Algerian soil in 1940 he enlisted in the infantry of the Free Africa - and was killed three years later during the conquest of Tunis when he returned to aerial combat !

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Thank you very much.

He's not mentioned in Franks and Bailey's The Storks but that may not mean that he didn't serve in one of the escadrilles that made up Groupe de Combat 12: SPA 3, SPA 26, SPA 67, SPA 73, SPA 103 and SPA 167.

Do you have any idea of the approximate date of his wound? It should be possible to work out his unit from that.

Gareth.

7. liverpool annie

8. liverpool annie

This is where I got it from ... original French translated !! :confused:

.... and I thought you might like this ... this is his son Jacques !!

http://translate.google.com/transla...e+Normandie-Niemen&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en

Attached Files:

9. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

It looks like he's in 1930s(?) Armee de l'Air uniform, with what appears to be a pilot's badge. So we can presume that he was wounded and captured in 1914, then escaped and became a pilot. I'll have another look to see if I can mention of him with les Cicognes.

Gareth

10. liverpool annie

The photo is his son Jacques .... ! in case you go tearing off to look for him !!

11. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Of course, you're right. I went off on a tangent without reading your post properly - this can happen when you look at things early in the morning!

Gareth