George Frew, Scottish rugby international

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by robco, Nov 8, 2009.

1. robco

robco Member

Anybody got any more details on this Scottish rugby international

George Mitchell Frew
    Born: 9 September, 1883, Larkhall.
    Died: 6 April, 1942.

Played rugby forGlasgow HSFP, Barbarians and Scotland

Nine victories from 15 international appearances. Test debut against South Africa in 1906. Scored one try (Ireland 1907) in the Triple Crown season. Captained Scotland in 1910.

Served WW1 in Cameron Highlanders and was badly injured at Battle of Loos. This was the end of his career as a rugby player but, apart from some physical limitations, he recovered fully and became a director in his uncle’s cotton finishing company in Larkhall, Lanarkshire. In World War Two he commanded the local Home Guard until, in 1942, Died of bowel cancer.

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I suppose you already have this Robco ... but I'll post just in case !! :) :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. liverpool annie

I'll add this ... but you may have this already ! :confused:

George Frew
    Scotland
    Full name - George Mitchell Frew
    Born - September 9 1883, Larkhall
    Died - April 6 1942, of Bothwell, Lanark aged 58
    Major teams - Scotland
    Position - Forward

Annie :)

4. liverpool annie

1906 - T.Sloan and L.L. Greig (Accies) and G.M.Frew (GHSFP) play in Scotland's first match against the Springboks which was played at Hampden Park

Attached Files:

• 1906.jpg
      1906.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  5. liverpool annie

The Scotch postcard is the Scotland XV that lost 14-0 to Wales at Cardiff Arms Park on 5th February 1910. The postcard was probably by A & G Taylor (Cardiff). Welsh programmes and newspapers of the time invariably referred to the "Scotch" teams. the line-up is: Back row.. J Pearson, J M Tennent, A W Angus, G C Gowlland, C D Stuart, W R Sutherland Middle row ... J C MacCallum, D G Schulze, W E Kyle, G M Frew (captain), J M B Scott, L M Spiers, J M Mackenzie Front ... J T Simson, E Milroy.
    Details provided by John Griffiths author of The Book Of English international rugby 1871-1982 and many other fine rugby publications

www.ovalballs.com/weekly_finds_2006.htm

Attached Files:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Thank you. He's another player to add to my list of those who served.

Gareth

7. liverpool annie

So .... did you already have all of that and the photo Robco ?? :confused:

8. mccabeem

mccabeem New Member

I'm looking forward to celebrating the centenary of my grandfather George Frew captaining the "Scotch" rugby team on 5th February 2010. The family celebrated the centenary of the Triple Crown in 2006 at Blackheath RFC. I ran my fastest ever marathon at London in 3:00:49 to celebrate his sporting achievement.
    I've a half written biography, which I still struggle to find time to complete. I will finish it when I can.

Michael McCabe
    m_mccabe [at] lineone.net ..... use @ instead of [at]

** I amended your email Michael to avoid spam ! Annie

9. liverpool annie

Hi Michael and welcome ! :)

I saw your web site while I was looking for George :) ... you and your family have achieved some terrific things .....

we'd love to hear more about " the man " if you would like to share !