Geoffrey Conway : Rugby Player

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by Dolphin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

This is one of a series of posts to mark the international Rugby players who served in, and survived, The Great War. If anyone has further information on the men concerned, I’d be most grateful if it could be added to the thread.

Gareth

Conway, Geoffrey Seymour MC TD played for England

Internationals: 18 : 1920 F+ I+ S+ ; 1921 F+ ; 1922 W- I+ F= S+ (1c) ; 1923 W+ I+ (2c) S+ F+ (1t) ; 1924 W+ (1c) I+ (1c) F+ (2c) S+ (3c) ; 1925 NZ- (1c) ; 1927 W+

Geoffrey Conway was born on 15 November 1887

Played as a No 8/lock for: Fettes College, Cambridge University (Blue 1919-1921), Rugby, Harlequins, Hartlepool Rovers, Manchester, Blackheath, Barbarians, Lancashire, Durham

Profession: Schoolmaster/schools inspector

War service: Second Lieutenant, Acting Lieutenant, Royal Garrison Artillery, MC Gazetted 18 February 1918

Remarks: Conway was called the ‘Prince of Dribblers’ using the now-extinct technique of shin-dribbling. He kicked the most conversions for England in an international championship season (7 in 1924). Played for Barbarians: v Penarth (8-6) v Leicester (3-3) in 1922. Taught at Rugby School. He served again during the 1939-1945 War, and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. He was an archaeologist in Greece from 1961 to 1969, before he retired to live in France.

He died on ?

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

With some other familiar faces !!

Standing (L-R): H.C.Catcheside (Percy Park), B.S.Chantrill (Bristol), H.P.Jacob (Oxford University), R.Cove-Smith (O.M.T's), A.F.Blakiston (Liverpool), H.M.Locke (Birkenhead Park), A.W.Angus (referee) (Scotland). Sitting: G.S.Conway (Rugby), R.Edwards (Newport), A.T.Voyce (Gloucester), W.W.Wakefield (captain) (Leicester), E.Myers (Bradford), L.J.Corbett (Bristol), W.G.E.Luddington (Devonport Services). On Ground:On Ground: A.Robson (Northern), A.T.Young (Cambridge University).

Attached Files:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

Thanks for the photo. As you say, some familiar names.

Gareth

4. liverpool annie

The Kiwi means the next line-out by Furies wild obsessed,

The Kiwi means that Dalley’s down, with *Conway on his chest.

The Kiwi means that Cooke is off, and now we shan’t be long!
    The Kiwi means “We much regret that England tackles strong!”
    The Kiwi means that “Tackle Low!” and also “Cooke is down,”
    The Kiwi means that Lucas “swerves” to beat the triple Crown!

The Kiwi means a line of back’s who run, and pass, and punt_
    A line of Brilliant, bustling backs strung o’er our sullen front,
    And when the battle dies away you here the whisper glide
    From lips that haven’t smiled all day: “No side! Thank Heaven!, no side!”
    From Auckland to Foveaux Straight- from June the third to now-
    By what I’ve heard some others tell, and I, this trip, have seen,
    There’s not a blessed Rugby trick that “Kiwi” doesn’t mean!

*G. S. Conway is one of Englands greatest forwards.

THE RUGBY LIONS FOOTBALL CLUB

Another outstanding International player who already had eight caps for England, G S Conway, joined the Rugby School teaching staff in 1922 and had an immediate effect on the team’s performance. Like Percival he attracted good players and the Lions benefited from the services of England Internationals M S Bradby and H J Kittermaster: both of whom were connected with Rugby School. Conway was capped eleven times while playing for the Lions and also played in the England/Wales v Scotland/Ireland Centenary game on Rugby School Close in 1923.

Conway departed in 1925 but his influence remained and, apart from some occasional lapses, this period was the most successful in the Club’s history up to this time: crowds of between 2000 and 4000 were not unusual.

http://www.rugbylions.net/history.htm?=reload

G. S. Conway S 1920/22/23/24 I 1920/22/23/24
    W 1922/23/24/27 F 1920/21/22/23/24 NZ 1925

http://www.manchesterrugby.co.uk/pagehistory.aspx

The best that Fettes has given are, I think, G. P. S. Macpherson, H. Waddell, and G. S. Conway. The limit of Macpherson's football has not yet been reached, and the old irony of the position once again reveals itself in the presentation to England of G. S. Conway, one of the best forwards that has been reared in a Scottish school for a number of years past.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/sport/rugby/rugby3.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=df...Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=G S Conway rugby&f=false

Back row - left to right - HM Locke, S Morris, T Roberts, GS Conway, WEG Luddington, Ambrose Baker, VH Cartwright (referee), Rowe Harding, G Michael.

Front row - left to right - T Voyce, CA Kershaw, WW Wakefield, WJA Davies, F Baker, T Johnson, RA Cornish.

Attached Files:

• 1923.jpg
      1923.jpg
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
  5. liverpool annie

*Snippet ....

I don't have access to Jstor but your man has a mention here !! :) thought you maybe interested in his brother in law too !

http://www.jstor.org/stable/769603

6. liverpool annie

The man had a knack ... don't you think ?? ;)

He took his first international cap on 31 January 1920 against the France.
    He won with England the Five Nations tournament in 1921, 1923 and 1924, passing the grand slam.
    He played 17 games of the tournament.