Gallipoli Question

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by John, Apr 15, 2009.

1. John

John Active Member

Could someone please tell me if Austalia had soldiers at Gallipoli prior to the landings on 15 Apr 1915 ?:confused:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this John !! ... I think to answer your question ..... "no" they were in Lemnos .... but I'm sure one of the experts will tell me if I'm wrong !! ;)

Gallipoli (One). – The Australians and Maorilanders landed in two bodies, the first being a covering force to seize the ridges around the landing [which took place] about an hour later. The moon that night set about an hour and a half before daylight. This just gave time for the warships and transports of the covering force to steam in and land the troops before dawn.

It had long been known that the Third Australian Brigade, consisting of Queenslanders, South Australians, Western Australians, and Tasmanians, had been chosen to make the landing. This brigade consists largely of miners from the Broken Hill and Westralian gold-fields. It had left Egypt many weeks before the rest of the force, and had landed on Lemnos Island, where the troops were thoroughly practised at landing from ships and boats. During the second week in April the greater part of the Australian and New Zealand troops from Egypt followed, and had been just a fortnight in Lemnos when they sailed to effect a landing at a certain position on the northern shore of Gallipoli Peninsula, about 60 miles away.

The covering force was taken partly in four of our own transports, partly in three battleships. The night was perfect; about three o’clock the moon set, and the ships carrying the troops, together with the three warships which were charged with the protection of the flanks, stole in towards the high coastline. It was known that the coast was fortified, and that a battery on a promontory 2 miles southwards, and several other guns amongst the hills inland covered the landing place. The battleships and transports took up a position in two lines. The troops were transferred partly to the warships’ boats, and partly to destroyers, which hurried in shore, and re-transferred their occupants to boats, which then made by the shortest route for the beach.

http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/1landing/bean.html

3. John

John Active Member

Thank you for your very detailed answer. I now have a clearer Idea. I thought I had read somewhere that Aussie troops had landed earlier, but in the wrong place. I must have been dreaming. :eek: