Fort Meigs

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Patriot, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric,

Re: our earlier conversation, I did find the following on Amazon:

Men of Patriotism, Courage & Enterprise! Fort Meigs in the War of 1812, by Larry Nelson

According to one reviewer:

"This little book is one of the only sources of detailed information about Fort Meigs and its role in securing the safety of the frontier states. It could perhaps benefit from a little more detail regarding the British ships and gunboats which stood against the fort--some of which also participated in the Battle of Lake Erie--but otherwise it's quite satisfying, supporting the text with prints, maps, and quotes from those involved. It's a useful look at the war from a nearly-forgotten perspective. The book can be hard to find, but for students of the War of 1812 (or of Great Lakes history, Ohio history, or the lives of Tecumseh or Harrison), it's worth the search."

This may be just what we're looking for.

Mike Peters, AKA Patriot

2. The General

The General New Member

Sounds like it, Mike. We shall have to track it down.

Eric

3. CrescentCorps

CrescentCorps New Member

Eric,

This is an excellent little book which I believe is the only full length treatment of the subject. Mr. Nelson was the manager of the park, and therefore believe you may be able to pick up a copy at the park's visitor center.

The two sieges are covered in less detail in a number of books including Sudge's Tecumseh, Pierre Barton's books about the War of 1812 and Sandy Antal's A Wampum Denied. Allan Eckert covers Fort Meigs in The Frontiersman and actually has a pretty good map, as well as a Sorrow in Our Heart. Pretty good drama, but you have to take the the historical account with a grain of salt.

If you haven't been to the park, it is well worth the drive to Toledo. Truly the gem of Ohio's historical parks.

Chris

4. The General

The General New Member

Chris,

I haven't. Mike and I are planning a spring expedition to visit both Fort Meigs and the River Raisin battlefield.

Eric

5. CrescentCorps

CrescentCorps New Member

Eric,

You should enjoy Fort Meigs. Haven't made it to River Raisin yet despite the fact I have been passing it three to four times a year for the past 20 years on the way to the inlaws'.

Have you been to either Fallen Timbers or Fort Miamis? Both are a short distance from Fort Meigs. Since I was last there, Fallen Timbers has added some additional property on the actual battlefield, and has received federal funding. Not much left to see at Fort Miamis except a few earthworks in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Have a great visit!

Chris

6. The General

The General New Member

Chris,

We will probably hit Fallen Timbers when we go to Fort Meigs. Should be a fun weekend. We're going to time it so we can catch a Tigers game, too.

Eric

7. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric,

The bucket list will be somewhat smaller in the Spring.

Mike Peters