Fixing 151 Year Old Mistakes (Re: Tombstones)

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kate, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Active Member

I was working on my Gettysburg Dead database this morning and was once again saddened by how many of the tombstone names in the National Cemetery are incorrect. I'm going to have trouble going there from now on, I'm afraid. It turned from somber to distressing for me.

This is how our ancestors and the soldiers who gave the last full measure are honored and I *really* want to do something to fix it. I'm a fixer. Anyone know how one would go about such a huge project? Obviously the park service isn't going to foot the bill... or the state, so it would have to come from private citizens. Is this a pipe dream, or could it really be done if it's not already been tackled in 15 decades? And to which organization would one appeal?

Is it too much to ask that PVT John Lodwick from the 104th NY is listed that way on his tombstone instead of "J. Lohruss"?

Or to fix the stone that says "Martin Slograt" and have it say the actual name of the man in blue buried there, which is PVT Martin Stanlon of BTY A 4th US Artillery?

2. Kate

Kate Active Member

I was right about not being able to go back. I hope it fades... but I was there last week and went past the National Cemetery numerous times. Couldn't make myself go in.

Maybe it's just some quirk with me and I understand that. But how I used to honor those soldiers was to choose a few names and come home to see what I could find out about them to keep their memory alive.

If William Jones is buried in a grave that says John Smith, I have nothing. The last person I did (before I discovered how widespread this problem is) was discovered to have not been buried at Gettysburg at all. So who's in that grave I stood there paying respects to in a rain storm? :(

3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Member

Thousands of Americans died at Gettysburg. I hope that proper respect is paid for ALL of them.

4. Kate

Kate Active Member

Thomas, you make me smile. :) There's really no sense in trying to stir up controversy. I've worked with many historians and people who work the battlefields. I have never once heard a division in respect when it comes to north and south.

So yes, except for a few pockets in the south that I hear want to "rise again" all soldiers are generally thought of and remembered with the same respect.

Now, if I misunderstood your "ALL" comment and you mean that you hope there's a way to figure out who's who and get the tombstones fixed... well, I really can't see how that's possible after 151 years. :(

5. thomas pendrake

Originally only Northern soldiers were honored there, but I understand that a few Southern troops were buried there, and I understand that some monuments to Confederate troops are present. It has been a long time since I was there, and I don't really remember how much respect was paid to the tens of thousands of Southern troops who died there for their homeland ( not for slavery).
    I do wonder how we can determine the accuracy of the tombstones at this time. Perhaps just remembering the needless deaths and the men who suffered there is what counts. It is sacred ground.

6. Kate

Kate Active Member

There are still a few southern soldiers buried at the National Cemetery, yes. I was working on my database yesterday and saw one of them buried as a MA soldier when he was actually MS. (Hmmm, wonder if Hollywood has any northerners that they honor? I'm thinking maybe not.)

Now, cemetery aside, of course there are still some people from both sides buried on the field that were never recovered. That's what makes the whole area sacred ground. I never go to Culp's Hill without remembering how many remain under that ground, particularly in that area.

Oh, and there weren't "tens of thousands" of confederate deaths at Gettysburg as you suggested... there were (give or take a few hundred) around five thousand.
    For the record. :)

7. thomas pendrake

I rather suspect that both numbers are underestimated. Sorry if I may have overstated the number, but all the deaths were far too high. The actual politics behind the war and "reconstruction" plunder that followed will always be hidden, until we all face judgement before God. So how many people will call me stupid for saying that?

8. Kate

Kate Active Member

Oh yes, it shouldn't have been even one. 11,000 total deaths between both sides... almost evenly divided (relatively speaking.) Over 50k total casualties, though, at Gettysburg. (not deaths.)

I would certainly hope that no one would call you stupid for believing in God and judgment. Nope, not gonna happen or I'll have something to say. :) (And no one wants to hear Kate squawk, so no worries! har har)

One thing to be sure to remember, though, is to keep in mind that when the topic of "judging" comes up, BOTH sides will be on the hot seat, yes? Both sides.

9. thomas pendrake

Perhaps the statement about people saying that belief in God is stupid has more to do my writing about religion and science. The extreme anti-South sentiment and distorted historical view of the War Between the States is similar, however. The war was terrible, but the plunder of the South was, too. Lincoln was murdered because he wanted reconciliation. Controversy continues about the truth behind the murder of Lincoln, but too many Northern factions wanted to plunder the South, and Lincoln was opposed. Another truth to be revealed on Judgment day.