Fitness Categories/Grades

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by dsms, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms Member

Does anyone know anything about the Fitness Categories assigned to solidiers.
    My late father returned wounded from France in 1940, his medical records show that because of his wound he was now assigned to category D. Later papers, when discharged back to barracks then show another reassignment to category C with a prognosis of a 6 month recovery period.
    However due to the nature of his injuries he once more had to be hospitalised and during this stay was once more re assessed and moved down to category E with a prognosis of no further improvement expected and discharged from service as being permanently unfit for duty.

I have searched but cannot find any information on the category system employed then or now. I would presume that a grading system of some sort was applied after someone was wounded and the fitness category somehow dictated the mans ability to perform certain duties etc. Again I assume A would indicate fit for frontline, B for lesser duties etc etc on a scale down to indicate totally unfit for duty. Can anyone throw light on the category system and provide an indication of what the categories were and what sort of duties would be assigned to people in the categories.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

These are the categories for WW1. From the little I have seen I don't think the WW2 ones are that different:

A: Fit for active service.

A1: Fit for overseas duties, as regards physical and mental health and training.

A2: As A1, except for training.

A3: Returned Expeditionary Force men, ready except physically.

A4: Men under 19 who would be A1 or A2 when aged 19.

B: Free from serious organic diseases, able to stand on lines of communications in France or garrison duties in tropics.

B1: Able to march 5 miles, see, shoot with glasses and hear well.

B2: Able to walk 5 miles, see and hear for ordinary purposes.

B3: Only suitable for sedentary work.

C: Free from serious organic diseases, suitable for home service.

C1: as B1.

C2: as B2.

C3: As B3.

D: Unfit, but could be within 6 months.

D1: Regular RA, RE or infantry command depots.

D2: Regular RA, RE or infantry regimental depots.

D3: Men in any depot or unfit awaiting treatment.

3. dsms

dsms Member

Many thanks for that info. Agree probably not a great deal different between WW1 & 2 especially at the start.