First Lieutenant Eugenio da Silva Possolo

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jan 10, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I found this flyer when I was looking for my Portuguese soldiers ...... this was how it translated !! .... does anybody know him or anything about him ?

05 SEP 1918 - Naval Aviation - Sopreith Acaeb

The First Lieutenant Eugenio da Silva Possolo, Naval Aviation, from the School of Aviation of Easthon, England, on 5 September 1918, a plane Sopreith Acaeb, "monoplast", holding a group of flight around the world suffered a accident near his arrival at Rio de Janeiro and died.

http://www.desastresaereos.net/acidentes_brasil_1908-1949.htm

Annie :)

2. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

I suspect that the article has suffered a little in translation. 1/Tenente Eugenio de Silva Possolo of the Brazilian Navy was attached to No 50 Training Depot Station RAF when he was killed in an accident when flying Sopwith Camel C3294 on 5 September 1918. He collided with Camel F3207 flown by Lt R H Sanders who was also killed.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

3. liverpool annie

Yes ! I think the translation did rather get strangled didn't it ? :rolleyes:

But thank you Gareth ...... I appreciate your help !

4. liverpool annie

Oh my ! ... sorry Gareth .... I've just seen your post on another site .... I should have Googled first !!

But thanks again !

5. liverpool annie

This is interesting Gareth ...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=179-cor1-ead_1-1&cid=-1&Gsm=2008-06-18#-1

SANDERS COR/1/3/753 7 Sep 1918

Contents:
    Reginald Horace, 2nd Lt RAF, Valetta, Kings Drive, Hampden Park, Eastbourne, 24; fractured skull when aeroplane crashed after colliding with another in formation; accidental death; see also COR/1/3/754

POSSOLO COR/1/3/754 7 Sep 1918

Contents:
    Eugenio da Silva, Lt Brazilian Navy, 17 Sunnydean, Bedford Well [Road], Eastbourne, 24; fractured skull when aeroplane crashed after colliding with another in formation; accidental death; most papers with COR/1/3/753

BARNETT COR/1/3/755 7 Sep 1918

Contents:
    William Rose, 2nd Lt RAF, Eastbourne Aerodrome, from 2 Long Row, Ditherington, Shrewsbury, 27; crashed aeroplane when control lost during manoeuvre over Hailsham, no evidence of cause; accidental death

6. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Annie

I'd forgotten about the post at another place - it was quite a while ago. Having had a look at it, there was a suggestion that Lt Sanders was involved in a separate incident. However a browse of The Camel File confirmed that Sanders was in one of the two aircraft that collided, and that 2Lt Barnett was in another accident. I've amended my original post accordingly.

Cheers

Gareth

7. liverpool annie

Well I may as well finish it off properly ..... found this ! this is all three of them !!

8. liverpool annie

Plus..... I went through the interments at Ocklynge Cemetery and couldn't find "our man "...

was he repatriated do you think ?

9. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Quite likely, I suppose. There wouldn't have been many Brazilian bodies to take back to their home country, so it's a feasible exercise.

The poor man went a long way to die in an accident.

I wonder what the other two Brazilian pilots did afterwards. Fly on the Western Front? Return home as instructors? Do we have anyone from Brazil participating on this site who might know?

Gareth

10. forester

forester New Member

I apologise for harking on about Sussex again :rolleyes: but East Sussex Record Office defied government orders to destroy the coroners records and has a catalogue of them that runs into the 1920's, including right through the war period. I've found quite a few useful ones for my research over the years.

Phil :)

11. liverpool annie

Somebody told me there was a Brazilian pilot named Raul Mendoza .... ! :)

12. liverpool annie

OK ! I give in !! ... I guess it's a good part of the country to be from !! :rolleyes:

13. liverpool annie

Brazil declared war on the German Empire on 26 October 1917 after having many ships sunk by German submarines

"Officers from the Army and Navy were sent to Britain, in January 1918, to receive flying training from the Royal Naval Air Service - RNAS (the former Royal Navy air corps). Those officers were trained in the naval air stations of Eastbourne, Lee-on-Solent and Calshot; two of them died in accidents. Afterwards, the Brazilian officers flew combat missions, on a flight of the newly-created Royal Air Force, composed by Brazilian, American and British airmen."

http://www.rudnei.cunha.nom.br/

14. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

The other Brazilian Navy pilot said to be killed while training in the UK isn't listed in the comprehensive Airmen Died in the Great War.

Does anyone know more about the man?

Gareth